Replaceable cutters on saw chain (Chain-Sert)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea Rob be glad to have your input here:thumbup: when I first saw this it was just from the picture on Facebook. I value all these guys opinions and hold them in high regards. Not sure if Butch may wish to change the thread heading to chain-serts but I was unaware of the name in my original post.
Joel Phelps

Joel, oh your the guy that messaged me this morning, ha, small world. And Im on board with you about the opinions on this forum, the feeds that I read are very informational, lotta people on this Forum really know what they are talking about. Don't get that as much on facebook. We've tested this thing like crazy but I get some tidbits all the time to look into. I really appreciate when people let me know their concerns, I can either address them, or look into them deeper. Feedback is the best thing we can get good bad or indifferent. I want nothing but a top quality product for our customers. Oh, No problems about the heading either Joel, I gotta tell ya, its really nice to come to a forum and see someone talking about our chain. Im still learning how to use this site, but I'll put something up soon.

Hey gf, your right, the cutters have outlasted the chain, we do make our own so we can control that. As far as cost, our 3/4 (.750) is $5.95 per driver, no cost yet for 404 size, its coming next year. The feedback on downtime has been really great from the people using our chain currently, they save about 5-6 hours per week. You seem to have some good experience and great comments, Thank You!

I look forward to when you have it in 3/8ths. I could use some from time to time. But the fact that no one local can even sharpen it or will, holds me back from even buying a loop of it. Heck, I don't even think our local saw shop even carries it.
The fact that I can replace the cutters interests me a great deal.

Thanks for your input Rob, the .375 and .404 soon to come sounds interesting. I can see a possible market for non carbide replaceable cutter sawchain that can be filed with a regular round file if the cutter's price are economical enough.
30 to 20 years ago I did sawchain field testing for Oregon, Windsor and Stihl with a professional logging end user as my primary candidate. Many interesting stories I can tell from what I got out of it.
:)

Must have missed something.... Those inserts can be sharpened by conventional methods?
Jay Jay Jay:lol: I was only suggesting to Rob that it would be nice if he could develop and introduce some conventional cutters without the carbide.
With the consumer recycling mindset we have today he may have a market for it.

Willard, I wasn't responding to your post, just the general question whether the replaceable cutters on the chain could be sharpened by the user or not, and by conventional, I meant with a diamond wheel. Though I am still kind of confused, I'm guessing no.

Willard, I wasn't responding to your post, just the general question whether the replaceable cutters on the chain could be sharpened by the user or not, and by conventional, I meant with a diamond wheel. Though I am still kind of confused, I'm guessing no.
No problem Jay. I see Rob started his own thread and you asked him some good questions .If their carbide is the grade my stump grinder has they can be sharpened with a green stone wheel.

sorry, for quick post before this one.... I was in a hurry. So we use a very hard durable carbide, not really the same stuff used on other carbide chain. We could handle re sharpening them at our machine shop, but its not cost effective. The replacement rate is really good, most people replace a one or two every other week, under normal conditions, one guy accidentally cut through a metal plate on a railroad tie.... he had to replace three teeth.

Ha! Now that I think about this new concept replacing just the chain probably would not be that much of an expense in itself. There is, I'm sure, things about it that remain to be learned.

I look forward to when you have it in 3/8ths. I could use some from time to time. But the fact that no one local can even sharpen it or will, holds me back from even buying a loop of it. Heck, I don't even think our local saw shop even carries it.
The fact that I can replace the cutters interests me a great deal.

Talk to the local machine shops, anyone that grinds carbide tools can sharpen this, if it's a problem, send it to me and I'll have it done locally here.

My conventional chain grinder will sharpen carbide, I just have to put on the diamond wheel. The wheel was a costly item way back when. I was more thinking that perhaps the design of the tooth or possible interference from the part that holds the cutter, would make sharpening prohibitive.

How is the cutting speed on THIS product in clean wood versus typical chisel saw chain? Greatly reduced or just marginally reduced?

Talk to the local machine shops, anyone that grinds carbide tools can sharpen this, if it's a problem, send it to me and I'll have it done locally here.
Hmmmmm... now I might just pull the trigger ....
We only have a couple actual machine shops here. None so far that will touch the stuff.. .
I get a lot of ... well maybe we can... never done it before... But we can try.....
Does not instil a lot of confidence.

A specialize grinder for the serts would be a small little thing, I think. Green wheels they are called. The stones used to grind carbide. Expensive and wear fast.

I've been precision grinding rod end bearing components in the aerospace industry for over 28 years.
We grind just about every type of metal, and even some "non metallic" material. Grinding carbide is
a major challenge, if you're not "tooled up" for it. The best thing to grind it is a "diamond wheel". It
is expensive, but works great. Not sure if it would be "worth it" to the "average person"??? :?

Lot's of dangers from breathing in carbide grinding dust also. I understand its not the carbide that's dangerous but the binding agent cobalt.
I sharpen my stump grinder teeth in a sand blasting cabinet with built in gloves and the green wheel grinder mounted inside the cabinet.
From what I understand Rob's sawchain carbide is a lot stronger grade of carbide from what my stump grinder teeth have. Probably the grade of carbide what hard rock miners use on their drills.

Aren't those Greenteeth tungsten? I have a diamond wheel for sharpening mine. Around $180 I think.

Why wouldn't stump grinder teeth just use the toughest hard rock drill carbide then?
Isn't there a trade off between carbide hardness and brittleness?

Back