Question about using the Blake's Hitch

tpcollins

TreeHouser
What specifically would you use the Blake's Hitch for and what would you not use it for (if any)? Thanks.

Before Srt this was my go to. Still find it useful in climbing as well. When others want to climb with me for a first time they use a Blake's.
As for a not used for.. I won't use it for a progress capture on a pull line or in place of a prusic to pretension.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

T. P. it was/is the most common climbing hitch for climbing with doubled rope using only your rope or with a seperate split tail. It advances easy enough and gives solid, safe capture on ascents and releases easily for smooth descents. It is not used for SRT.

Not sure about your experience level, tp, but I'm a rank newb and would use the Blake's for what it was originally intended: as a better friction hitch for DRT climbing than the Tautline.

If you're looking for something even more secure, you could use the "B53" version of the Blake's that Peter Jenkins teaches LINK (5 turns instead of 4, feed working end through 3 turns instead of 2)

Good luck!

Blakes was my first hitch when climbing split tail double rope. I liked it way better than a prussic, much more responsive, adjustable.
I'm now on SRT.

I will use a Blakes if I have to utilize the tail of my rope for another system, tie it either with a split tail or just the climb rope.

Back