Question about non replaceable gaffs

rskybiz

TreeHouser
I have a pair and the tip of the gaff broke off. My question is has anyone welded a set back up then ground down for a new profile? Or would it just not be worth it?
Thanks Joel

I've never had permanent gaffs: they just never seemed like a good idea. You should use this as a reason to upgrade to some Geckos or whutnot.

Good luck!

I would replace them. If one side broke off, how strong is the other side? How strong will your weld be? Will welding weaken the gaff more? This is a life support item and if they are old and worn enough for the gaff tip to break off then they have exceeded their useful service life. Some people are fine climbing on old, patched and rigged climbing gear. I want every link of my safety chain in fully serviceable condition.

Pretend that Jerry B or Burnham is standing there looking at your setup as you gear up to climb a tree. What items would you be embarrassed for them to see? What items would you need excuses for? Replace every one of those items with gear that doesn't require excuses. Live to climb another day.

My concern with welding it up, would be how do you anneal and or heat treat it to bring it back to the manufacturer's spec.
To many unknowns for a life support piece of gear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok trash heap bound, just a thought they were nearly new and it dropped on a concrete floor. Going through my climb gear thought it would be worth asking.

Pretend that Jerry B or Burnham is standing there looking at your setup as you gear up to climb a tree. What items would you be embarrassed for them to see? What items would you need excuses for? Replace every one of those items with gear that doesn't require excuses. Live to climb another day.

THAT is a good litmus test of how your gear is....good proposal, Brian. Another good example of what peer review can do for us...in this case not peers so much as a highly experienced professional review.

Don't do it. I had a bicycle handlebar welded up once, not trusting my own skills and had a professional welder do it. When it broke again at the weld when going along at a good clip, I nearly killed myself. Some things are not meant to be welded was the lesson.

I agree with Brian wholeheartedly. Except on one little fact, generally speaking to my knowledge spikes arent considered PPE or life support gear. I fully realize there are a lot of situations where if your gaff failed you could die or injure yourself but that applies to a lot of things.

At Big Green our insurance stipulates that ALL PPE must be provided by the company; gaffs are considered an accessory, like a handsaw, and 'nice' ones can be purchased by the employee to replace the standard issue crap they hand out.

I wouldnt weld them back together, a harder choice since they are newer but the right one nonetheless.

Get a pair of ClimbRights, or even better Geckos (apparently :) )

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=228&item=306
http://wesspur.com/spurs/climb-right-aluminum-spurs.html

CRULS.jpg

I love mine!

Spurs are cheap and can last you a life time. Just buy another set. A set with replaceable gaffs!

Now with that said I'll tell you I went to great lengths in my early years to perfect my own spurs. I wrecked out pieces of different brands and married them together to come up with what I thought would be the best. And the fact is I come up with some damn good designs. All for fit and comfort. The basic purpose of the spurs to stick into the wood was perfected so many years ago. But fit and comfort continues to be an ongoing engineering saga with this tool of the treeman.

It suprised me. I will never toss my gaffs from a tree ever again after a limb removal and prune of the rest!
I have a set of bashlin's and a set of klien's so new ones will wait.

It suprised me. I will never toss my gaffs from a tree ever again ...

OK, that explains it. I have never seen a broken spur tip and was thinking it might have been a manufacturing defect.

FYI, I have used permanent 3 1/2" spikes most of my career. I'm on my second set in 43 years of climbing. Never had a problem.

Dave

The broken one was just a drop from about 5 ft, not one I tossed from a tree. Just makes me aware.

I broke a gaff once about 7 or 8 years ago. The place I used to work at was owned by a tight wad and we had one pair of old spikes to share...... the company had about 15 guys working at that time. We were working at a golf coarse one day and I was about 6ft off the ground when the gaff broke. It was a very strange feeling before I realized what had happened. It felt like I was trying to spike into concrete. After that we actually bought two pairs of new spikes! They were the cheapest steel Buckingham spikes with the cheapest T-pads but at least they were new.

Back