Power Line voltage and insulators

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
Last week I went to an EHAP training put on by TCIA and taught by John Ball. It was an excellent day and very informative. I do have one question for any utility trimmers out there. Is it true that you can get a rough idea of the voltage a line had based off of the number of insulators that are one the poles? Dr. Ball said that you can and that generally speaking, the higher the poles, the higher the voltage.

If this is generally true, I can now work within 3 1/2 ft of just about any power line in town. I will never do it, but I can. Kind of scary if I am understanding this all correctly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Well it can zap the stuffing out of you and most likely you'll never get a second chance if you screw up .

I did it for a living and though I don't fear it I certanly do respect it .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kind of like heights.

So how much truth is there to the insulator thing? Seems too simple to me.

If you want to know the voltage just talk with your local power company. Most areas, you can get a pretty good sense for their system from a short chat and applying EHAP knowledge. 10 foot minimum approach distance unless you are have your "Qualified Line Clearance Arborist" card............ I worked line clearance and would still not go closer than 10 foot unless I was in contact with power co.... That higher pole higher voltage thing should be true, but just remember a 220v service drop could kill you, if you let it.....

According to Dr. Ball we are now "qualified line clearance arborists"... No card needed. EHAP training and any experience counts as far as OSHA is concerned.

I might use talk to the power company and see what they say about the insulators.

Just as general info most urban voltages with pin top insulators will be under 10,000 volts .The largest pin top would be 19,900 which is one phase of 34,500 to ground .Stay away,it will fry you like a crispy critter.

Every so often you might encounter 90 foot poles with large insulators in town which most likely is 69,000 but you normally would not be that high or near such an installation as the line clearance would be done by the utility company .

From a bucket truck with a fiberglass boom you probabley don't need to worry too much from the insulated tri plex or quadraplex service lines on single phase residential or 3 phase commercial installations .Just be mindfull of them .

You had better check on that certification. I took the course last yr and was very unhappy that I drove three hrs each way only to find out I then needed an Aerial rescue cert. All said and done, had just lost a day to be refreshed on what I learned back in the eighties. Same footage too. As far as I was told, I still have a MAD of 10'. Fine by me, just feel failed by TCIA.

Right, Aerial rescue and cpr is part of it. And there is no certification required. Just to be qualified.... Clear as mud. You can get a certification showing to you meet the requirements to be considered qualified but it's not required as far as OSHA is concerned. Third party training meets the requirement and TCIA is a legit third party trainer. TCIA doesn't certify you but they keep documentation showing that you took the classes.

A kid fell asleep driving and sheared off a pole down the road from my house. The kid was conscious and could have walked to the ambulance. The backed it up to him and were walking around the wire that was hanging down to about head height. Made me shudder.

If I remember right I think the voltage is 4800. The power guy rubber gloved standing on the ground.

I made contact with a primary when I was in a tree when I was 22 and my wife was pregnant with our first child. It wasn't my time to go. I didn't ground well. I remember waking up in the tree and the fireman hurrying to pull the bucket up to get me down. I came down on my own. The old nasty drunk that ran that company chain smoked cigarettes and was crying that afternoon. He kept saying "40 fu*&)@g years in line clearance and everyone I ever knew that did that is in the ground now!!!! You should be DEAD!!!"

Emr, In the fox valley most of the primary lines are4800kv or 7200kv or 14.4 kv and some 34.5 kv. If you want to know the line voltage most of the transformers have the markings right on them. Such as 4800 X 14400 then in the side or back of them there is a little lever that points to 4.8 0r 14.4. that will give you a general idea. On transmission lines (cross country lines) you can go by the length of insulaters. Most of those are either 69kv or 138kv or 345kv in Wisconsin.

Nice. Thanks for the pointers.

Back