Power drop / line drop / data drop

I usually tell the power company I'm taking the tree down on such-and-such day. If they get the line dropped, fine. If not, I'll be dropping it for them.

They show up.

Local light and water used to do it for free, now they charge $100 per line dropped.

Cable is a simple co-axial setup that unscrews with a pair of pliers. Telephone isn't much harder. Generally you need a screw driver for the box and some finess with the clips.

Today I worked with another tree guy climbing/using the lift to take down a 30 some odd inch topped hackberry between 2 houses, their 2 service drops, 3 cable lines, a fence, and a clothes line. The houses were around 15' apart, I just had enough room to set up the lift.

5 tanks of gas through the saws in the lift. :whine:

They drop ours here for free on a scheduled date. Usually a two day window. As far as phone and such, I usually work around it. We only have cable in town, down town in the town... Don't blink your eyes... Might miss it ;)

Treesmith, where in AL are you? I'm a mile and some change from Pickens County.

Dropping service lines is ez-pz.

What's not wise? Working 75-100 feet up in a tree running a power saw is far more dangerous than dropping a service line.

i guess im not liscenced or insured for it so if someone gets nailed by it accidently while its down, or if the crimp fails after its back up. any number of things cross my mind in that scenario. its pretty rare i feel unsafe in a tree with a saw :drink:

Putting them up takes the proper ferrell and swage die. Getting them down takes bolt cutters.

I aint scared of cutting them down, but I wouldn't try to put them back up.

For someone with the knowledge and ability to do it safely, it sounds a lot wiser than standing around waiting for the dumb power company employee. Those guys aren't typically rocket scientists, and if they can do it then I'm sure capable of doing it as well with the proper training.

It's pretty simple procedure with a bucket truck. They just go up, cut the line and unhook the strain relief then, splice it back when you're ready.

If we schedule for first thing in the AM, they're usually on time. Getting them to come back in the afternoon can be sketchy timewise.

Well do as you like . Bear in mind though that often the power company frowns on people disconnecting service drops .

Treesmith, where in AL are you? I'm a mile and some change from Pickens County.

Dropping service lines is ez-pz.

I live in north Pickens County. I didn't say it was hard to get them dropped...it's often difficult to get them dropped on time. I've only dropped it myself three times, but it's comforting having the tools to do so when the power folks are running late and daylight's wasting.

i guess im not liscenced or insured for it so if someone gets nailed by it accidently while its down, or if the crimp fails after its back up. any number of things cross my mind in that scenario. its pretty rare i feel unsafe in a tree with a saw :drink:

I climb the pole and kill the transformer first, so the line is not hot while it's down (usually). Occassionally, a transformer feeds more than one house, and it's necessary to make the transformer hot again until the job is done. If so, just coil the service (while still dead), tape it up, and hang it on its pole of origin. Though it would be hot once the transformer is reset, it's out of the way and no one can step on it. Again, the possible scenarios are that it's far more likely that a bystander would be struck by falling tree debris (direct or reactive) than hurt by a dropped service.

I had the power company drop a tranmission line here this past year...was epic but did not cost anything. I first asked in Januaruy but they said no because 165 houses would be witout power for six hours. We did it in september.......As far as I know, the utilities commision regulates power companies and they "have" to creat a safe situation for work. I asked for the to shield or kill the line...but they said they could only do that for themselves, otherwise they have to cut it down.

they were on time to drop the wire and right there when we craned the last chunk out to put it right back up8)

I had the power company drop a tranmission line here this past year...was epic but did not cost anything. I first asked in Januaruy but they said no because 165 houses would be witout power for six hours. We did it in september.......As far as I know, the utilities commision regulates power companies and they "have" to creat a safe situation for work. I asked for the to shield or kill the line...but they said they could only do that for themselves, otherwise they have to cut it down.

they were on time to drop the wire and right there when we craned the last chunk out to put it right back up8)

I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all...just thought you'd like to know...the lines they dropped in the photo aren't transmission lines. They're distribution lines. Transmission lines are the big lines that usually run on metal towers. At least that's the way their classed here in Bama.

Just to clarify the terminology; the first pic is a transmission line, the second is a distribution line. :)

Attachments

• transmission lines.jpg
    transmission lines.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 106
  • distribution line.jpg
    distribution line.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 106
I live in north Pickens County. I didn't say it was hard to get them dropped...it's often difficult to get them dropped on time. I've only dropped it myself three times, but it's comforting having the tools to do so when the power folks are running late and daylight's wasting.

My name is Carl Rutherford and I'm in Columbus, where's/who's you?

:D

I take no offense...that what everyone calls em' round here....primary is the other term I hear. SEcondary means a house drop...

anywho....the cut em, and I was really surprised

In my area, most times the pwr co shows up punctually for requested service drops.

I usually drop the cable at the pole, as its easier than messing with all the staples, etc on the house. Phone co's leave their's loose, and they're easier to drop at the house. But many of the new boxes require special tools. I recently got a whole kit of security bits, and can now get into any box. I've also dropped phone lines at the pole.

Back