Portable Winches?

It looks like with the PWC5000 winch, that you can switch out the capstan drum, from the smaller one to the larger one and get a faster pulling rate, but still haul a lot of weight (around 1500lbs I think). Just wondering if any of you guys have tried this out yet and is it worth doing?

What is the max pull and do they sell different sizes of this winch? Ive used a lewis winch how does the pwc winch stack up to the lewis?

What is the max pull and do they sell different sizes of this winch? Ive used a lewis winch how does the pwc winch stack up to the lewis?

I bought the larger drum, tried it, went back to the smaller one.
You gain speed, but lose about 1000 pounds of pull.
Buddy has one, and prefers the large drum. He sets up a 4 or 5:1 double block MA system when he needs more pull.
Same fellow also owns a Lewis winch, and it has sat unused for more than 10 years. Just sayin'

That's been my impression as well. A faster pull would be useful, but all in all the smaller drum and stronger pull is more practical.

So if i did a 5:1 or 4:1 setup on a long stretch to pull a 5500lbs log up a steep hill what rope could/should i use and will this winch do it safely. Without breakage.

Use a 3/4 rope connecting the log to the block (pulley) closest to the log. Your other line (1/2" is fine) going from the winch around the sheaves in the two blocks is only going to be pulling 2500lb (or 1400 lb - depending which dia drum is used), but it all adds up, so a 4:1 is going to be putting ~10,000lb pull on the end of the farthest block away from the winch. (minus friction losses)

A pair of CMI RP124's are what we use. Lovely things.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the more legs of line you use, (such as using a pair of double sheave pulleys) the slower that log is gonna move, and the longer the rope you are gonna require.
I prefer to try to get away with just using either a straight pull or a 2:1 (winch line going to a block attached to the end of the log, back to the tree that the winch is attached to). Just winches faster, and quicker to set up. It is all a matter of trade offs; speed vs. power.

Been meaning to post about my new winch. I CAN'T say enough good things about it. It works so slick and gets the job done 100 times easier than before.

One thing that I can see me needing is the skidding cone and tree mount for easier use. Had issues with a hitch of branches digging into the ground, when we were yarding them up a riverbank where we were cutting.

Skidding cones are the cat's ass.
I'm constantly amazed what our Honda ATV can pull, as long as the cone is in place.

Are you redirecting to a high block, or trying to pull at ground level. A floating anchor with a non-isolated base-tie might be quick and easy. Probably something you've thought of.

I think that tripod would somehow have to be guyed to something behind it or it would just fall over.

These skid plates are poplar with the Firewooder's here in Manitoba.

Attachments

• 20151213_185237.jpg
    20151213_185237.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20151213_185751.jpg
    20151213_185751.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 34
I've thought of a portable tripod for a high point at different times. It might be useful for cliff/ bank edges, as a redirect up above the edge, solidly anchored to a tree upslope.

"The cat's ass" is a new one for me, I've heard good things referred to as the "cat's meow."
The cat's ass is much more entertaining. I like it.

My Stihl/Husqvarna dealer sells the Honda powered Portable Winch.
I'm definately going to buy one in the spring. I remember Reg was looking into getting one.
Click on the video if you dare:shocked!:......"Made in Canada " :lol:

www.portablewinch.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like that plate Willard. I've noticed the cone is great for brush, not so much for logs. The pull is off center when you choke the log, and it doesn't jive with the opening on the cone.

Glad you like it Chris. Mechanical advantage setups with the winch are awesome as well. Playing with some serious force!

ETA: Thats the one Willard!

Sam,
Yes I saw some videos of loggers in Quebec doing selective logging in federal parks using those winchs like that in your video. Very low impact and operating costs are super low.
Those skidding plates work great in soft ground or snow. Trick is a wrap of the binder chain around the pulling chains keep the front plate from going horizontal.

Bump.

Just pulled the trigger one one of these for a steep hill job we have coming up. Looking ahead, we will be pulling over trees with it, skidding logs and yarding brush with it on a job we should have Deva on this summer, and pulling trees apart as they are getting more and more crispy.
See how she rolls. I have been eye balling and wanting one for quite some time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stable braid works best. 8)

You'll find all kinds of ways to put it to work. Make sure you've got a pulley or two handy.

Back