pity on the noob!

Master the most basic climbing setup no matter which style you chose as your go to. If you can't quickly twist up a tautline on a closed system, well, that's not good in my eyes. Not you in particular, I mean any climber. A quick double crotch, a sudden bailout, there's many reasons to know the basic closed loop set up with no hardware. Not suggesting to stick with it, just be proficient with the most basic set up. It'll allow you to quickly get into, or out of a tree with nothing more then a rope and saddle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Look at mechanicals. Easier safer smoother and less expensive.

Not sure I follow...got any links for me, RA?

Mechanical ascenders/descenders? The ones I've seen are definitely not less expensive than a split tail! :?

Master the most basic climbing setup no matter which style you chose as your go to. If you can't quickly twist up a tautline on a closed system, well, that's not good in my eyes. Not you in particular, I mean any climber. A quick double crotch, a sudden bailout, there's many reasons to know the basic closed loop set up with no hardware. Not suggesting to stick with it, just be proficient with the most basic set up. It'll allow you to quickly get into, or out of a tree with nothing more then a rope and saddle.

Thanks, Tucker. It's usually best to walk before you run. :thumbup:

I don't mean to say to start out and use that method. You can take off running right off the bat, but it would be Wise to know how to walk atleast.

What area of Indy are you in Jeff? I'm south of you in Columbus and although I've only been recreational climbing for 1.5 years, I have a good sized pile of gear.

I started climbing SRT and later added DdRT using the hitch climber/e2e to advance above my initial SRT tie in point and for tree-to-tree traverses. My lanyards are just short DdRT systems.

We might be able to get together some time if you would like to try out some other gear.

What area of Indy are you in Jeff? I'm south of you in Columbus and although I've only been recreational climbing for 1.5 years, I have a good sized pile of gear.

I started climbing SRT and later added DdRT using the hitch climber/e2e to advance above my initial SRT tie in point and for tree-to-tree traverses. My lanyards are just short DdRT systems.

We might be able to get together some time if you would like to try out some other gear.

Thanks, GemCutter! I'll send you a PM.

I started with blakes and one beener , kinda like MB setup with his snap n tauntline, but I use beener. Then that system aggrivated me with the tie untie method I could see the benefits in the hc/e2e setup and haven't switched back, hope this helps.

But also this about always keeping it simple. U don't need to be a climbing gear whore to be good, lol

That was me too, Charles: Blake's and one biner. Then I switched over to a split tail pretty quickly to go around obstacles. Haven't graduated beyond that yet...

Wondering if I should try the HC or go directly to the HH...decisions, decisions! :lol:

I have a rope wrench so if I want to go srt I just put the rw on tie a running bowline then keep climbing , when I run out of branches on removals I tie a alpine butterfly n use my steel crab to choke around the stem and continue working. Ill go get a pic for u of my setup. Give me a sec.

That was me too, Charles: Blake's and one biner. Then I switched over to a split tail pretty quickly to go around obstacles. Haven't graduated beyond that yet...

Wondering if I should try the HC or go directly to the HH...decisions, decisions! :lol:
An easy decision in my mind.

Started on split tail blakes on biner, then went to closed blakes on ring (don't ask), then back to biner again - then to srt/ddrt on BDB. For a long time SRT seemed like some exotic, advanced thing for experts way above my skill level - then when I eventually got to try it; I was like 'This is easy, this is really quite simple!'. So long as you feel you understand the varying forces you are putting on your rope, and the tree depending on how you set it up.

Part of me feels sad for my trusty blakes, that I've turned away so quickly from...

Even when I tried out a pulley to tend my blakes once - I couldn't believe I hadn't been using it for years, it makes it much easier.

Never really learnt Tautline, tried a prusik a couple of times - never liked the sit back compared to the blakes.

For a year or so I actually climbed on a 2 above 1 below blakes (or was it 1 above, 2 below? - Can't quite remember; I'd tested it low and slow for a long time before) to save time - It was only when I went to a climb course that I realised that the closer I got to my friction saver (that I'd never use at work at the time) the blakes would slip. In short - the friction at my TIP was taking some of the friction needed at my blakes away. I'm not recommending this - and if you do try it - just be aware of that fact if you are using a friction saver.

Savour your climbing!

Ha - thank you MasterBlaster! - You've only gone and put up a beer icon though - I'm dying for one and there's none in the fridge!

I'll get around to my profile... ;)

Thanks sawman/George - your psycho profile pic doesn't quite match your name; maybe in a weird sort of a way - it makes sense! ;)

I have to admit my real name is not craig - though prefer to use it on here for now.

Thanks!

Yeah...welcome, Craig. Oh...not your real name, huh? Hmmmmmm....this mystery might be fun to watch.:D

Clark_Kent2-250x172.jpg

clark-on-the-dance-floor-pt1.png

Back