pistols

What's your time worth? At that price I could reload 1k @ paying myself $130 an hour. I bill less for hourly tree work, more for stump grinding. Then again, most would say that both are harder than pulling a lever 1k times.

If you're reloading on a single stage, you better enjoy it, because it's going to suck for most folks.

A Dillion 1050 might be cool, but my current setup is fairly sweet and not hard to justify.

[...]

If you're reloading on a single stage, you better enjoy it, because it's going to suck for most folks.

You can say that again, but for rifle loads you can't beat the precision of a Forster Coax... although most of the work is done off the press. It's absurd how much time you can spend just sizing the neck. It wasn't bad when I had the whole rig so I could sit in the family room and watch TV while I loaded but it was hell on my old eyes. Thank god for digital calipers.

Yeah, the 650 sucks for precision stuff. :lol: But for actuall BR stuff, the CoAx would take the lead for sure.

Carlfinalzero14shotgroupbottomle-1.jpg

There was paper seperating the groups, but when I ran it though a scanner the rollers tore it. 10 shots, getting sighted in. The "flyer" was the first shot, adjusted and shot a 4 shot group in the low .4's, adjusted again and shot a group of 5 into the low .3's.

That's a damn nice group to be dialing in. Is that at 100 yds? What round?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Picked mine up tonite afterwork. Dam nice looking. Im hoping to give it a good cleaning tomorrow and take it out to shoot friday or sat.

well, i shot a clip thru it today after the unsuccessful deer hunt. sweet shooter it is.

I ended up in OKC at the sil's house for turkey and afterwards went to bass pro shop to kill some time. Picked up a 250 ct.box of remington ammo.

I am still considering the reloading thing, but Im going to have to do a lot of shooting first to justify the cost of a progressive reloader. Ive got a single stage rcbs, dont have the time to spend hrs on reloading.

Lumberjack what is the load you are useing in that 308? I am having a tough time getting anything to go 5 shots into a 1" in the rifle I am putting together for my kid.

Lapua brass and a 155 Lapua Scenar. CCI BR2 Primers, 46.X gr of Varget seated to I believe 2.800".

What rifle are you building for your kid?

Remington 700 SPS. I had the barrel cut to 20" It has a Leupold 2 X 7 scope on it. It is his deer rifle for tree stand hunting. He wanted something like the old Remington 600's.

Unless you have a freak of nature the SPS isn't free floated. If you use a sling, changes in sling tension effect the barrel differently causing a drastic POA/POI change. If you're shooting with bags or bipods, changes in your forward/downward pressure (don't try to free recoil 308, doesn't work) can cause a similar change.

Don't over clean the barrel either, my rifle has been cleaned 3-4 times in 1500 or so shots, excluding the time it endo'ed into the mud at a competition. The .3" and .4" groups I posted were with 3-400 rounds down the tube. Shoot till accuracy drops off and then clean it.

For gods sake adjust the trigger if you haven't already. If you need help just let me know. If your glove is too fat to fit in the trigger guard, get thinner gloves of even better, a shooter's mit. My trigger is around 2lbs, about as low as you can get with the average stock trigger and light enough for me to keep sub 1/2MOA @ 300 yards.

Make sure the barrel's crown is mint and square. It really doesn't matter what angle it is at (target/recessed/ect) as long as the transition is crisp and even.

See if you can get a limb saver recoil pad to replace the original pad. I know the recoil isn't bad, but it sure doesn't hurt accuracy to spread the recoil over a longer time (the pad squishing).

Lastly, are you capable of shooting sub MOA with other rifles? 2-7 isn't alot of magnification, gotta have a firm grip on the basics.

The only stuff I haven't loaded that went through my rifle was Federal Powershok, 175 grain I believe. It shoot MOA or better as well out to 200 yards (as far as I shot it out too).

I have a Ruger 77 in 25-06 that I have gotten sub 1" groups for the last 25 years. I have tweaked the trigger. The barrel has a recessed target crown cut on it now (nice and square). I did a over all chamber length measurement it came up 3.010 it seems to be to much free bore for a 308. Was thinking of having the barrel removed from the action and cut down and the chamber re-cut. What is the OAL on you rifle?

OAL on the rifle, or the chamber? Either way I'm not sure. With the stock folded it's down to 32" or so. The chamber has a longer lead than SAMI, but it's not caused a big problem, I want to say it's around 2.9X I believe.

My rounds feed from a magazine so to insure everything goes happily, I just load to 2.8X" generally.

3.010" is long. Try Serria Match Kings, which aren't for hunting but tend to not mind the jump.

3.010" means you'd load a 155 Scenar to 3.1-.2" (I'm guessing), wayyy long (to get the ogive closer). That's as long as a 30'06, I doubt the neck of the 308 has enough length to allow it.

On the plus side, you won't have to trim brass for a long while!

Freebore isn't that important on a hunting rifle, so long as it's consistent. If you do get the chamber set back, have them cut a standard print SAMI 308 chamber and you'll be fine.

wow some gun loadin folks in here,
i like the old beretta 92 sf,and yes i have the pac grips, its old it shoots well, i do like those lil walthers,
i'm nt into how much grain to how many fps, but a good shot in the face takes the fire out of most people not all of us want to drag the 357 out from between the truck seats, or the 223 out of the chipper toolbox but stand ready to when needed

If I felt I needed a 357 in the front seat and another firearm in the back of the truck to get through a work day, I think I would move somewheres else.

If I felt I needed a 357 in the front seat and another firearm in the back of the truck to get through a work day, I think I would move somewheres else.

Ya think?:D I've never quite understood the need to go through life armed.

makes me think of the scene in MIB, when the alien dude pulls a gun on the tow truck driver and the tow truck driver pulls some big ass revolver out of his pants. I could see the potential for armed conflict in that job but in tree care? I would hope it isnt a major workplace hazard.

maybe in a line clearance situation...some pissed off homeowner comes out toting a shotgun, a concealed piece may come in handy.

as for everyday work, I dont think so either, unless you consider a car jacking situation (pickup truck - not large truck).

while im highly considering getting a concealed carry liscense, Im not anticipating carrying 24/7. Its mainly to be legal while having it in possesion if its in a pack or something. I can carry it w/o being illegal.

Well seriously, this is the truth.
I was up ina giant hackberry over near the prodjecs, the hood.
Anyhow this skinny lil black dude came out and started pointing what looked to be a .38 snub nose at me .
Seriously and as i was pretty tied in and ina really nasty spot i couldnt really get out of his line of sight.
He started saying you be GBI better get the fu$% out of hear and do bea spying on me.
My boss was this huge ass irish man and he quickly produced his pistol and told the little N%^^& to shut the F up or hed plant a hole in his Black a%% head.
So the black guy got really cocky and climbed on his roof really quickly and then he had a very good line of sight on me.I was only about 23 and was enjoying workibg for my boss who shouted at me to keep climbing and ignore the black guy.
My boss called 911 and i hid as best i could behind stubs and such all the while the black guy kept waving his gun and shouting that i was GBI.
Swat got there really fast and he disappeared and we got the tree job done .
I vowed never to work in the hood again and i havent.

Yeah my boss wasent scared in the least.The guy pointed the gun right at his chest and he just turned his back on him walked over to the truck and got his gun.
I was terrified beyond reason.
I just didt want to die that way.
Seemed very real to me.

Back