Pintle vs. Ball???

NickfromWI

King of Splices
So I was thinking today about which I should have on my soon to be aquired chipper. Everywhere I ever worked always had pintle, so that was my assumption as to what I would use. But they also all had larger (normal) sized equipment, too.

So I did some googling to see what the differences are. I'd like to run it by you guys so you can see if I am understanding what the options are.

Pintle
-Handles heavier loads better. (not important for me. our chipper will be <3,000lbs)
-Easier to hook up and inspect
-More rattley while driving

Ball
-Not super heavy duty, but it'd do what we needed
-The hook-up process is slightly[\i] more involved but no big whoop
-Quieter ride

So I look at that and think "stick with the 2" ball." But i like everyone on the crew being able to quickly see if everything is hooked up properly.

The rental place we use to get the air compressor for AirSpade work uses 2" ball on everything, so if we DID go with a pintle, we'd go with a pintle/ball combo like

BH-200RN51_Small.jpg

Oh- while we're on the topic, when using a ball hitch, what is your preferred way to attach the trailer to the ball. I don't like this kind....

scp-52411.jpg

They just always seem chincey to me.

I've used this one a lot over the past 3-5 years...

$(KGrHqVHJFYE+,V3EsQvBQCfSkgSYQ~~60_35.JPG

The croft brand ones seem to be well built, but I don't like the tediousness of threading it on all the time and I don't like that sometimes you have to reach inside the cup thing and wiggle that little piece under. I always think something is going to move and smash a finger...so I'd rather not go with this one again.

Is there a better option?

love
nick

Pintle on the chipper and this solves your dilemna with the rental issues.
BH-200RN51_Small.jpg

I run 2" on everything as I do not have anythin heavy enough, nor rent anything heavy enough to warrant the pintle. Even the rental places here are 2-2.5 ball on everything. Most I have to do is switch the receiver with a different ball. Different in the big city though :D

What chipper did you decide on? Less than 3,000lbs? I've never seen a single chipper hooked up with a ball hitch, so I would be weary. Loosing equipment on the freeway is not something you want to experience, especially when you own the company! There was a thread a week or so back about a shock absorbing hitch that may be the ticket if you are looking for a smoother ride.

jp:D

I go with pintle as fewer people tend to want to borrow. Of course I don't tell them I have a hitch that fits in the receiver.... Especially when you get a dump trailer, everyone wants to borrow that! 3000 Pound chipper is nothing, I would go with the locking style as opposed to the threaded, once you get it adjusted it stays there for practically ever as opposed to having each crew member adjust it to what they feel is right every day. Just look at the ratings on the coupler and make sure you are well within capacity.

I have a pintle on the chipper and all my trailers. On the truck, I have the pintle ball. Once you set the trailer brakes correctly, you aren't going to hear as much clanging behind you as you think.

The pintle ball combo sucks.......way to much slop. There are different size pintle rings. Ours has almost no slop. Large spring on other side absorbs some impact

The pintle on ours also swivels....which is great on uneven terrain.

We pull trailer with a 2" ball with hammerhead hitch....itks ok.

i had the pintle/ ball combo, and like no bivy said there was some slop, but it was universal,
if trailer brakes are adjusted its ok, if not, , if for some reason you have to brake hard, she will let you know she's back there with a quick "slam" against your truck
on our livestock trailer theres another type of ball hitch, that splits..ive seen it on tow behind stumpers, it closes and secure with a collar
no need to put your fingers in it.

I like the hooked pintle/ ball combo. I have the flat bottomed combo, as it was given to me. It bangs around some, but not too much. Smooth operation helps...trailer brakes even moreso, which I don't have, but it doesn't have me running to get the hook shaped combo.

Pintle, without question. No messing with 1 7/8", 2", or 2 5/8" balls. Every truck we use has a pintle, execpt for my personal truck which has a class 5 combo. The bucket truck has the spring and pinless setup, which is my favorite.

Pintles are easier to get on if your a little off too.

The spring pintles are nice, but they are hard to fit on the smaller trucks as the tow plate seems to be drilled already, and the holes do not line up. Like bivy said, those have almost no slop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Alright, so I found these two pics...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1354984943.597788.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1354984951.496305.jpg

Like the idea. The price is noticeably higher but by no means prohibitive. But how does it actually attach to the truck?

love
nick

It is drilled and bolted to the frame, or you weld on a steel plate and proper support to the frame to do so. The spring is on the back side of the plate.

Wont work on your truck, Nick.

You don't have a large plate welded to the frame like most trucks. Looks like they extended out your hitch area to clear the body.

Just use what you have, and match the pintle hook to the ring size the best you can.

Ideally your pintle is bolted right to the area where your hook slides into. With the slide in receivers your going to have slack no matter what.

attachment.php

Here's a picture of my truck with the rear plate on the frame. I have a combo and never had much concern. I'd prefer a 100% pintle hook but it can wait really.

Attachments

• new flabted.jpg
    new flabted.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 21
I've never seen one of those spring pintles. Cool setup.

We just had a combo 2" ball/pintle setup on the truck for a few weeks so we could pull my personal trailer. Wasn't crazy about how sloppy it was either. Once we were done with my trailer the regular pintle went back on.

You would have to cut out the square receiver and replace it with a solid plate. Cut a hole for the shaft, and drill holes for the mounting bolts.

I've never seen one of those spring pintles. Cool setup.

We just had a combo 2" ball/pintle setup on the truck for a few weeks so we could pull my personal trailer. Wasn't crazy about how sloppy it was either. Once we were done with my trailer the regular pintle went back on.

Adam, was it a flat bottomed, or curved bottom (like Nick showed) pintle combo?

Nick, a fabricator should be able to fix you fairly easy if you want. My bucket has the spring style, dodge has the combo and knuckle boom has an air cushion. (Just to throw you a curve ball:))

Back