Picture of circle of death

Eucalyptus are always doing that cracking ,I've only noticed it on the spars/trunk( in my experiences).

I have a few 2 inch ratcheting straps with sewn eyes on the ends for steel links, only problem is to know when to use them.

Its easy to carry a piece of rigging rope... couple, 5-6 wraps and tie the ends. IF it splits, you have a huge amount of binding power simply from that, before it starts to load up on your saddle.

It happened to a climber her about 15 years ago.
He was cruched so badly, they had to remove a large part of his lower intestine.

It is so easy to avoid, just don't have your lanyard in your D-rings if you are making a dodgy cut.

Ya, Gord's not F@*&ing around.

God do I appreciate him bringing the Magic Cut to the discussion table, back when. Its, well, Magic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The hard part is knowing what tree and when it might happen

Bretto, did you find what you needed, picturewise?

I've taken to hand drawings, like in real life, and taking a picture on my smartphone, posting via tapatalk. Sometimes easier than finding a photo.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bpJdVrrT5Ng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Treeboi4life has stepped up his game.

While rigging out bigleaf maple logs onto a different spar tree, I cut them just above a current or old crotch where there would be branch collars below. I tied in high on another adjacent fir, lanyarded in below the branch collar, loosely.

Part of the Golden Triangle approach to heavy leaners involves cutting off the corners of the hinge. This is somewhat like cutting four sides of a log, leaving a center post to cut last, to reduce fiber pull. As best I can figure, possibly right or wrong, is that cutting a ring around the outside isolates some of the log fibers from the forces of the hinge.

If there is not a branch collar available to help to tie the spar together/ reduce splitting, I wonder if cutting a ring around the tree, below the hinge area would help. Its like a four-sided sapwood cut.

I will have to take pictures.

Most larger cuts or if my TIP is just below a cut, I'll circle the notch with the saw, especially catalpas up here, they seem be there one second and then it's gone and haven't even cut through 1/3 of it. Hope it makes sense what i typed, this long island ice tea is hittin' me hard. :)

I just learn of this type of situation , did not cross my mind, this happening . I am glad, I came in here. Thank You for the info.

Chris...no obvious indication on my eucalypt...just a regular looking medium sized town tree. The cracking I heard and saw was in the trunk AFTER I had limbed it and was sectioning it down.

You undermine the Center Of Gravity. Kinda PITA on big stuff...

I'd rather just push!

+1

I was expecting something a little more....well magical.

On the fatt stuff when its not leaning the right way and there are targets to take into account but still a lz ,i slab em off at a good angle,probably 50degree angle and let em slide off,if your in the tree gotta be sure n cut the cambium on frontside 😮,i find myself doing it on fat date palms and anything else that requires it hell,im talkin the thick ones though not sumtin you could snap cut and not a big/solid enough lz for good size sections.

You undermine the Center Of Gravity. Kinda PITA on big stuff...

I'd rather just push!

How do you push a 1000 pound log?

You don't even have to match up a face cut. Extra easier when your bar is smaller than the tree is wide.

I Magic Cut an 80' spar about 5 times, to 30', solo, in about 15 minutes with directional control. It's way faster and easier than pulling logs off with a hinge and 1+ groundie. Never exerted myself more than lifting my 460.

The butt log was undermined COG with a hinge.
51ff9cba912c27b50c45c951ebc15a0a.jpg

That's a magic cut? I always thought it was just the thing to do! I know there are many chunks I've cut that would be too big and heavy to push over. I'd rather cut fewer pieces a bit deeper than push twice as many "smaller" pieces.

The butt cut with 12" wedge as size reference to the butt log, was to show the log size on the ground that came from up to by "Magic". Gord had a "Magic Cut" titled video years ago on TB.

Read the description in his YouTube video
https://youtu.be/lW-_IO08NdI. Hard to see it in action, though, in the video.

Can't push logs like that.

This puts a lot of strain on the log when cut pretty deep, but I've not seen it wanting to split the spar causing the COD. I will cut way deep on Fir, not as deep on a vertical maple piece. If it leans, a good, typical face cut, or shallower MC works.

Back