Pics: Name that fungus...

NickfromWI

King of Splices
Went to see a tree that had fallen over. Clients wanted to know if it could be pulled back up!!! :lol: It was a 40' tall tree that I think is related to Cocculus laurifolius, but I'd never seen one THAT tall. Usually a 20' is very tall.

Anyway, trunk was super rotten and tree was half-dead. It had this giant conk on it. You guys care to edumacate me on what I'm looking at?

Attachments

• fungus 1.jpg
    fungus 1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 4
  • fungus 2.jpg
    fungus 2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 4
  • fungus 3.jpg
    fungus 3.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 4
  • fungus 4.jpg
    fungus 4.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 4
I vote Ganoderma also. Just saw a few over the weekend on douglas fir wildlife stumps. AKA Artist's conk, no?

Willie, I ain't as smart as you, nor as papered. But I'm of the mind that Ganoderma suggests a white pocket rot.

I'm obviously not as smart as you think! I had to get my book out to prove you right!

A lignin eater and lignin is what gives tensile strength. Now let me go look that up before I get the wrong thing in my head again

Sorry, no, it's the opposite.
The cellulosic fibers give the tensile strength, like the rebars in concrete. Lignin embeds them and gives cohesion and compression strength.

Squishy.... Yupppp.... Squishy

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iDOhFIX3sWE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back