Picked up a Stihl 024 AV, any tips?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We'll find out how well it cuts today. Dad's got a couple trees that need taken down before they land on the grandkids zipline. They're dead already, they just need dropped and cut up. The chain ended up being a semi-chisel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn't get a chance to cut anything with it of any substance. By the time I got out there it was blowing 30-40 mph gusts and we didn't really think that the woods was anywhere we needed to be. You could see stuff falling all over the woods. I DID make a few cuts on log I had run out of fuel on last week. It cuts nice and straight. The semi chisel seemed to cut plenty fast for me. The Stihl seems to be a little lighter than my Husqvarna 142 but feels like it MAY have a little more power. Sounds like a win-win for me.

I had 20 or more here with blown rod bearings in crank. Same with 026.

They don't like it when people run them lean, chasing rpm's.

It seems a lot of people either forgot the basics or never knew them in the first place .They crank down on the high speed jet because it sounds faster and given enough time cook the saw .--or they just don't run enough oil with the gasoline and trash the bearings .

Here they chase rpm so get speed limbing in small wood. In chasing that they run them lean, over rev and blow bearings.

Back