Overrated

This is a helpful thread. Really good to hear another arb complain about buckets. I'm about done with them. Seems like once in a blue moon (around com. lines and house drops) they're absolutely indispensable, but that's about it. I hate those pigs. This thread is inspiring me to go anti bucket truck.

I'd have to say that my least favorite piece of commonly used arb equipt. is the friction saver. Who but a 2002 competition climber could possibly benefit from the slight mech. adv. that that time-wasting devise offers? (And I live in one of the pitchiest areas of the world.) SRT's the future anyways. I'm convinced that future arbs will use dDrt but seldom. I'm about half n half right now. I only like dDrt on big descents. Spreads the friction out a bit, ya know?

Lordy, I love a bucket. Ya'll be all crazy n shit! A bucket can do the work of three climbers and I don't know about ya'll, but I'm always working around 'com. lines and house drops.'

If you can afford it, a bucket is a great piece of gear to have in your arsenal!

They can be great. I'm not saying that a bucket won't beat a good climber in certain situations. I'm just saying that (and this might just be regionally specific) those situations are extremely rare. In this area, a 65' bucket won't even reach half the stuff you have to do anyways, and, they suck to park, AND, they take a ton of fuel, AND they need frequent inspections, AND they just suck in general.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is a helpful thread. Really good to hear another arb complain about buckets. I'm about done with them. Seems like once in a blue moon (around com. lines and house drops) they're absolutely indispensable, but that's about it. I hate those pigs. This thread is inspiring me to go anti bucket truck.

I'd have to say that my least favorite piece of commonly used arb equipt. is the friction saver. Who but a 2002 competition climber could possibly benefit from the slight mech. adv. that that time-wasting devise offers? (And I live in one of the pitchiest areas of the world.) SRT's the future anyways. I'm convinced that future arbs will use dDrt but seldom. I'm about half n half right now. I only like dDrt on big descents. Spreads the friction out a bit, ya know?

I agree friction savers are a waste of time. Haven't made the jump to SRT yet. i just don't think it would be beneficial for me.

Butch: Word. :drink:

Treehugger: That's what I thought... just one more innovative gadget I just didn't want to mess with... why bother? But I can tell you this: once you do (get used to climbing on it) you will never, ever, (five more evers) go back. Very slight learning curve that, once made, makes you go, "Man, why didn't I discover this sooner?" or, "Where's this been all my life?"

Just waaaaaayyy more efficient. Way faster. Tie in points wherever you want, AND, safer. You can literally launch (though I choose not to mess with throw lines at all) a throw bag over an entire tree, and climb up the stinking' tree. If one branch breaks, you've got seven more to catch you. Tie into multiple tops with minimal effort.

Butch: Word. :drink:

Treehugger: That's what I thought... just one more innovative gadget I just didn't want to mess with... why bother? But I can tell you this: once you do (get used to climbing on it) you will never, ever, (five more evers) go back. Very slight learning curve that, once made, makes you go, "Man, why didn't I discover this sooner?" or, "Where's this been all my life?"

Just waaaaaayyy more efficient. Way faster. Tie in points wherever you want, AND, safer. You can literally launch (though I choose not to mess with throw lines at all) a throw bag over an entire tree, and climb up the stinking' tree. If one branch breaks, you've got seven more to catch you. Tie into multiple tops with minimal effort.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok. I could see where SRT might come in handy on large prune jobs. 95% of my work is total takedowns where I can use Spurs. Spurs, flip line, and Ddrt and I can be at the top of the tree setting my rigging lines before you get your throw line untangled. I could be wrong and I'm not against trying new things, but I just can't picture it being beneficial if you can use Spurs. If you can't use Spurs then I can see the advantages.

The buckingham ergovation. So uncomfortable and runs big got a small adjusted all the way and it still slides down my hips and the leg straps slide down even when its adjusted! A real piece os.

A bucket can manicure some end weight light years better than a climber. .....til you get out of bucket range...then it's "squirrel yourself out there" and get it.

Back