Oldest tree?

• Thread starter Knotahippie
  • Start date
  • Replies 55
  • Views 4K
K

Knotahippie

I couldn't find a whole lotta' info on this stuff. Does anyone know more about this tree?

I know about Bristlecones, I thought they were the oldest.

http://hellisconsultants.co.uk/funfacts.aspx

The oldest recognized tree is a Redwood known as Eternal God. It grows in the Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park in California. The tree is believed to be 12,000 years old, although some argue it is only 7,000 years old, either way it is still the oldest living tree.

Are they talking about a clone or what?

Yeah well... if you don't forward this thread to ten of your friends you'll have bad luck for a year.

I thought the Bristlecone pine was the oldest living tree species?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Has anyone seen this tree?

I read some about clonal species, some Aspens in Utah being 80,000-1,000,000 yrs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_tree

"Pando" 80,000 - 1,000,000 years. Quaking Aspen Utah, United States Covers 107 acres (0.43 km2) and has around 47,000 stems (average age 130 years), which continually die and are renewed by its roots. Is also the heaviest known organism, weighing 6,000 tonnes.

Sorry Frans...I was wondering if anyone had seen the "Eternal God" tree or if the location was unknown.

I read the Bristlecone location is secret.

All those "clone" trees are so much out of the competition.
That includes the Huron pines that the Aussies claim can get 10000 years old.
The only species able to show actual growth rings to back up longevity claims is the Bristlecone pine ( Pinus longeava) ((means longlived)).
The oldest one registered was 4844 years years old.
It was cut down by a complete asshole ( excuse my french, but what else to call him!) of a geography student named Donald R. Currey, may his name live on in infamy!!
The exact location of the tree named Methusalem is kept secret by the forest service in order to keep eventual Currey-wannabees away.
You can, however walk amongst other 4000+ year old trees in the Bristlecone pine forest in the White mountains near Bishop, Ca.

By the way, why does a dane have to tell the american treefolks about their own trees?

Didn't that student have permission to cut it down, not knowing how old it was? I believe that has been discussed somewhere here before.

Currey was at NC state at the time. He broke his drill trying to core it and asked for and was granted permission to cut three. The fact that he even asked proves what a dickhead academic he is.

You don't have to tell me about our trees, I knew about Currey's infamous takedown back in 1980 when Galen Rowell wrote about it.

You don't have to tell me about our trees, I knew about Currey's infamous takedown back in 1980 when Galen Rowell wrote about it.

The reason he cored it, was to try breaking the record for the worlds oldest tree.
Instead he ended up killing what might have been the worlds oldest tree.
Frigging jerk!!

I realize most of you know the story, I just couldn't pass up such a great opportunity to yank your chains:lol:

By the way, why does a dane have to tell the american treefolks about their own trees?

Hmmm...You mean the most famous tree in the world?

I got a chance to work for some really cool Danish folks this week. Some friends of my moms in Texas. The "Den Harde" family. They invited me in but I had to take off my shoes...and put on clogs! No s#!t.

Sounds to me like you've got your danes and your dutch mixed up.

The dutch are really into clogs.

Right...Dutch, big difference. I might be culturally impared after all.

Danes wouldn't ask you to put clogs on, they'd give you a beer.
Small, but important cultural difference:D

Hell, working in TX I could have killed two or three beers! I had to take off at noon two days in a row. No place for a Californian.

I've read a lot of books/websites historical data and research on the subject of old and big trees. The Bristlecone pines are without a doubt the oldest individual trees that can be measured with certainty. There are a few species though that may be their equals in longevity but can't be indisputably measured although some authorities regard Common Yew as almost certainly the species that attains the greatest age per individual.

Creasote brush grows outward from the center. Each year advancing until a ring is formed. Estimates of the age from the ring size puts the creasote right up with the Bristel cone. So I read.

Any thing that can live to over 6,000 years has to be living evolution.

Back