O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Congrats on the new digger! I really like the Kubota minis. I'm surprised to see the Marshall Machinery sticker. I used to see him at the farm auctions up here (eastern NY, mostly), but haven't been to one in years now.

Thanks fellas!

Yeah, Dave, I'll look far and wide for the right deal!

That was one of the last new, pre emission KX057-4's with a cab in the country. Saved a touch over $10k vs buying local. It was the best delivered price I could find on the machine anywhere in the country by around $4500-5k. I never got far enough with anyone else to get another trade in value, but the first excavator cost me around $4.50 in deprecation per hour.

I found a used machine with ~150 hours on it, but adding in the financing charges made the new machine (with 2 years of full warranty, 3 on the power train) only cost $2400 more than the used machine.

This thumb requires some modifying, it's far too flat to grab logs/brush with much confidence. This particular design is worse than the ex it replaced. On it, all I had to do was weld two 1/2" round bar "teeth". I'm thinking the plan is to cut/bend/weld the thumb to give it some curve, then add some teeth if required. This excavator also needs a progressive/full rotation thumb it seems, although the curve will help grab things closer to the machine.

IMG_2644.jpg
IMG_2642.jpg
IMG_2641.jpg

Got my first scratch today! Was figuring out positioning it in the trailer so I could rotate. The only disappointing thing is that the counterweight has a high build primer under the paint, which makes touchup more of a hassle over the traditional cast iron surface.
IMG_2633.jpg

The first scratch always hurts the most, doesn't it? Nice machine.

A local I know got a town contract for stream and bank clearing. He has a full size excavator he runs without a thumb. I asked him why no thumb, he says just one more thing to break. I think it is more the several thousand dollars to put on. He sure did a lot of work without one but I would have to have it myself.

Each to their own but for me. Stump grinding=Easy money plus a day off the saws and ropes.
What's not to like?

For me it's not like a day off let's put it that way. Like watching paint dry.

Congrats Carl. Now go put some more scratches on it!

This thumb works really well for picking up wood. The teeth face inwards like a shark and holds pretty well.
They can break, if you're picking up a branch and it's not straight and won't go straight if you see what I mean it puts a lot of pressure on the weld on the dipper arm. Depends on the fixing I guess but mine broke off and had to be redone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 90
Ahh I see now, yours is integral whilst mine is just a after market weld job. Very nice. (mind you mine only cost 400 quid)

That thumb is different than my friends '04 KX-121. He also has a brand new 121, I'll have to take a look at it to see what it looks like. I know the '04 was pretty much sweet right from the factory.

The KX121-3's stock thumb. The hook was good, but they were smooth/no bite.
Screen Shot 2013-12-07 at 4.46.28 PM.png

The only modification required to make the thumb work dandy.
Screen Shot 2013-12-07 at 4.56.55 PM.jpg

The KX57-4's thumb has minor rounded teeth, but not near enough hook. Some measuring, cutting, bending, and welding should fix that. I'm also considering converting the thumb to a progressive link thumb for more rotation. (Same linkage as what's on the bucket's cylinder)
IMG_2644.jpg
IMG_2641.jpg

That's the same thumb as both my friends 121s.

I ran a Cat 307 with a progressive thumb, very handy. The 307 was very smooth, but gutless. I'm sure your 057 would outdig it.

What series 307, Dave? I just cut a bevel on 1/2" round bar for those teeth, and they made a huge difference in how well it can grab logs.

Na, Willie, the 057 is bigger. Wider dipper, bigger bucket pin, and longer bucket radius. Also, I traded the 121 in on the 057.

It was a 307C, new a couple of years ago. Very smooth, cold AC, comfy seat, just gutless. I was loading the F550 with it from a loose pile of dirt and it couldn't pull the bucket through the top of the pile, just stalled. I'd get the KX-080 before I'd go Cat.

Anyone else looking for CF Geckos?

One day and 20 hours to run right now on ebay. New at $375, buy it now feature. Search listing#201000411313 it is labeled as Arborist Climbing Spikes.

Back