O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

It was dark when we unpacked, hence no pictures.

It is several years worth of bars, Brian. Bailey's had a closeout sale on this spring and I had them put a stack aside for us.
I only paid about 22% of the Danish price for those bars.
We do run through a lot, though.
When logging for the State forestry department, which accounts for 80% of the trees we fell, we are required to use biodegradable oil.
That stuff is really no good compared to the real stuff.
As for chain, I use up a little over a roll of 3/8 by myself every year.
And that is not by using Carl's use once and throw out method. Mine get filed down to the last corner of useable cutters.

I know that, just couldn't pass up such a good chance to jank your chain a little.

They get thrown in a bucket in the shop, not thrown out!

But, is anything ever really done with them? If so, I applaud you. I've been in plenty of shops with used chains hanging on the walls on in buckets somewhere, but nothing was ever done with them. When I remove a chain, I put a new one on and throw the old one away. It's gonna be filed down to crap, anyway.

I used to save old chains, too. Then I realized that after 10 years of doing treework, I had never once pulled a used chain out of the bottom of my toolbox and put it on a saw. Once I quit saving old chains I had much less clutter and I ended up getting much more use out of my chains because the option of 'saving it for another day' no longer existed.

The only ones I save for a rainy day are the ones with a kink or a busted link from being thrown.
As I was running out of 3/8 chain last week, I repaired as many of those, that I could.
That saw me through untill the new shipment came in.

I have a few hanging around from when I was grinding chain. Now that my guys kinda know how to file, i'm getting away from that clutter also

The only ones I save for a rainy day are the ones with a kink or a busted link from being thrown.
As I was running out of 3/8 chain last week, I repaired as many of those, that I could.
That saw me through untill the new shipment came in.

Do you notice more thrown chains than 15 or 20 years ago? I never threw a chain until they slimmed the bars down. I went back to ask the dealer whats up with that. He told me I was running the chain too loose, not sharp enough, I was running it too fast.... I told him I was not a rookie and was it cause of the slimmer bar. I finally accepted the fact that the chain will jump off once in a while. The dealer was a dunce.

No, when I throw chains, it is because I misread tension in a branch and they get twisted off the bar. That'll often wrench a couple of links out of true, so they need to be replaced.
Something I don't normally get around to doing, untill I run out of chain.

Fed Ex left my little present on the door step today....
Puny shipment compared to Stig's but long over due...
Broke my corona pole saw (2nd one :lol: ) and I needed a fast replacement.. Been wanting one of these for a while. :D
I love new stuff 8)

Attachments

• DSC_0636.JPG
    DSC_0636.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Not for work but here's a new toy.

All original 1966 (guy thought it was a 65' but I checked) Simplicity Landlord 101.

Here she is after a bit of Brendons wax treatment. :D

I don't even want to use it, it's so nice.

Came with a plow, a mower deck, weights, tire chains, and all the manuals and paper work.

Attachments

• 1966 Landlord 101 001.JPG
    1966 Landlord 101 001.JPG
    271.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 1966 Landlord 101 002.JPG
    1966 Landlord 101 002.JPG
    251.8 KB · Views: 7
I thought you were saving for a house B! Did you buy it to flip and make some coin? Looks to be like new, what engine is in it?

I am saving for a house, how am I going to cut the grass and plow the snow without a tractor?

I am keeping it long term, Brent. I'd never find one in this condition again for being 46 years old, I'm anal about originality so it's a keeper for sure.

It's got the 10HP Cast Iron Briggs and Stratton. These tractors are bears, and you can get every attachment under the sun for them.

Don't antiques usually sell for more than a new modern machine though? I know up here there was a huge antique auction a few yrs ago. He guy had a whole town. A couple of the Steam engines went to Great Britian. They thought the sale would bring 4 million, they ended up with 12.

Antique collectors seem like an odd bunch. I knew the guy here well, and took lots of folks over for the 2-day tour of his collection. Every time I hear about antiques all I think is "thank god for mechanization". But thats just me! Hell, I have a couple field tractors that just about qualify for that status, and I still use them as primary power, couldn't afford to replace 'em!

Back