No mas 372s

If I go any fatter on H she is 4 stroking. You know the sound is with a pipe right wounding tight? I think I was pulling it off the pipe though, pushing to hard in the cut.
I'm done playing now, back to muffler for work.

I'm not knowledgable about the the sound with a pipe, but am under the impression that when accelerating when not in the cut, you should be hearing a wee bit of 4 stroking. When going for max cut speed, do you lean out your saw, thinking that in the cut the revs are going to be down, so thinner on the H isn't going to cause problems?

Yes. For a few cuts for play and not for working all day. We do the same thing to saws GTG racing. Lean them out a tad. Fatten them back up for working.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Need some beefy hearing pro for those saws!

FTR, the 576s are great since being repaired after messing the bed early on. They are a dream to cut with. Anybody following this thread who is turned off by their early troubles and would therefore not buy one, I understand. But if you need a sweet, fast- cutting, easy to use saw, I would recommend the 576.

576 still running well ftr

They are very smooth. They must have beefed up or advanced AV. I haven't had a problem with boring. They came with skip chain which was certainly more kicky than full comp, but not bad overall. I like the full comp best, it cuts as fast or faster than skip, you can shave a box more open easier with comp, and its less kicky. Only downside is it takes a little longer to file.

Cobleskill, it is a mighty nice saw. Kinda reminds me of old school 372s, they were cutting sons a guns!

Hi Cory, got my 08 372xp back from John Walker in BC. He polished the exhaust port and balanced the crank, and modded the muffler. It's got full wrap handles, and big dogs with chain catcher, 84 driver Cannon, with full comp LGX. Running 40:1 Stihl Ultra, with premium non ethanol. So far in oak, smooth as a 53 Buick on a toll road! Not a bad saw for an old man on the downhill side of 65, hope it hangs in there........Bill

I've polished a few exhaust ports, but they pretty much seem to be coated with carbon with some use, no longer a polished surface. I wonder the effectiveness of a polished exhaust port? Breaking down and cleaning your modded saws is a good thing I believe, like also removing carbon from the top of the piston. etc. Any saw for that matter. Damage to a ring from a port edge that hasn't been treated well enough is pretty common, even from the manufacturer. It also gives a chance to check out things, like the ring and c and p condition. It's a worthy ambition, but my guess is few people bother, and others aren't so capable. If someone is using a fuel mix where carbon doesn't get deposited, I would be interested in what they are using. I have read a few folks saying that after breaking down their saws, they looked clean inside.

Breaking down....I know what you mean, Bill. My post wasn't meant to put any operation down. When I was reading a lot about porting, polishing the exhaust was a controversial topic. I wish there was definitive information.. I will say that a well polished port is a pretty thing and requires good effort. It takes more than a few minutes.

I find a similar thing, Chris, a thin and relatively tough coating. Top of the combustion chamber as well. I wish there was a way to dissolve carbon without having to disassemble the saw.

Jay, seafoam. Apply right through the spark plug hole. Let it sit over night. Let it sit on top of the piston for a few hours then flip the saw over so it sits in the dome of chamber, with the plug in. Fire that sucker up and let it blow al the burning carbon out. Top of your piston will show clean aluminum.

It comes in a red and white can from ANY auto parts store. It dissolves carbon. Ive had gas engine trucks tht would spark knock bad from carbon build up. Ive flooded the engines (risky but doable) thorugh the vacuum hose until the engine stalls. Let it sit and eat the carbon. Start the truck up and burn off all the carbon. No more spark knock. Jay when you start the saw it will blow a cloud of white smoke initially. Don't huff that. Its just carbon burning off.

Hi Cory, got my 08 372xp back from John Walker in BC. He polished the exhaust port and balanced the crank, and modded the muffler. It's got full wrap handles, and big dogs with chain catcher, 84 driver Cannon, with full comp LGX. Running 40:1 Stihl Ultra, with premium non ethanol. So far in oak, smooth as a 53 Buick on a toll road! Not a bad saw for an old man on the downhill side of 65, hope it hangs in there........Bill

That sounds like a treat, Bill.

Tucker, interesting re the carbon. How does one know if there is a carbon problem in a saw without taking it apart?

Pull the spark plug and shine a light in the hole and look at the top of the piston. My saws run on 50 to 1 gas and carbon has never been an issue.

Back