NHRA Fast Cars

vharrison

Island Girl
We went to West Palm Beach, Fl speedway Saturday. We saw some super fast cars and some of our favorite racers. John Force was there along with his two daughters that race. The scum bag Jesse James was there also as his new wife is a racer. IMG_2748.JPG IMG_2751.JPG IMG_2771.JPG IMG_2777.JPG IMG_2777.JPG IMG_2777.JPG IMG_2789.JPG IMG_2802.JPG IMG_2869.JPG IMG_2908.JPG IMG_2870.JPG

Jesse is a tool. He was cool back in the day... but has really become a douche nozzle over the years.

The Force clan are neat people. But you can't get John to stop talking for a hot second. :)

Gary

The memories of dragway 42 in Salem Ohio in the 70's

Watching Big Daddy Don Garlits and Cha-Cha Shirley Muldowney race was something I'll not forget!

I won't forget being snubbed either by Don "The Snake" Prudhomme -when I asked for an autograph in the pits :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The memories of dragway 42 in Salem Ohio in the 70's

Watching Big Daddy Don Garlits and Cha-Cha Shirley Muldowney race was something I'll not forget!

I won't forget being snubbed either by Don "The Snake" Prudhomme -when I asked for an autograph in the pits :(

The snake wouldn't give you his autograph? I got Shirley's in Charlotte a couple of years ago at the 4 wide. I love the smell of nitro in the morning!!!

He was obviously having a day.

My father went up to him and said; "Hey! My kid has your posters all over his bedroom wall, the least you could do is sign a photo." I was freakin embarrassed.
Don then grumbled something -and said he was sorry. He even posed for a snapshot with me. Gotta ask my dad if he knows where that photo is.

Anyway, been to hundreds of races, car shows in my youth. Now when I see a 66 Plymouth Fury, 68 Camaro, 69 RoadRunner or 71 Barracuda, I feel all warm inside.
:)

After a very high speed race, be it dragsters, cars, or motorcycles, professional drivers are often looking rather pale from not much blood remaining in their heads. it is fairly understandable that one might not be so eager to sign an autograph if it was right at that time.

I think superstars have become more tuned into where their money comes from in recent years. Drew Bledsoe, former QB for NE and the Bills had a crew at his house. He told them "first thing guys, no autographs". One of the crew had the presence of mind to tell him No problem Drew, I think you suck anyway.

I can bust ass in a tree for 10 solid hours on the hottest day florida can throw at me- and I still take a moment to talk with a neighborhood kid who thinks what we do is cool. And I'm a nobody....

Imagine if I told him -or was overheard saying that the blood in my head was depleted and to get lost :lol:

QUOTE:"*BUMP*

One that sticks in my head to this day, wasn't from a customer -but some punk kids "who race shall go unmentioned" when working in the ghetto of Youngstown Ohio.

The one came up to me as I was touching earth as his friends stood back waiting for the show- and he said just five simple words, but I wanted to reach out and yank his lips off his face.

"I WANNA BE LIKE YOU!"

But he kept saying it in this whiny obnoxious contemptuous way -that I can still hear in my head.

If I ever came close to beating a minor, it was that moment."Quote.

Does that mean you'll only take a moment if the neighborhood kid is white?

I was going to take this somewhere, but you're obviously looking to cause upset.

Stay on target please with the threads original intent. Thanks in advance.

BACK ON TOPIC

NHRA-ESPN-TV.jpg

Great link I found during my salad days of going to top fuel raceways.
http://www.70sfunnycars.com/forgotten.html

What I love is that high pitch frequency that you hear -above the roar of the engine. It is almost deafening....

It was huge 30 years ago. Anyone with a garage with woods behind it had a funny car. There were two families in our area that did and my dad would take me over to their house to check it out. One of the guys was a friend from work who had a funny car he had named Killer Rat. I searched high and low for a photo of his car, but it's nowhere to be found.

What I remember most is the grease monkeys who would wrench on the car. They were these two twin brothers from Romania named the Stincovych brothers. Better known as the Stink-o-vich brothers. They were giant guys with huge sausage fingers, fully bearded like ZZ-Top but their beards stopped just at the bottom of their eyes and real long matted bushy hair. I never seen them without dirty work coveralls....

They didn't speak English very well, so I never heard them talk. But man could they work Top Fuel like nobodies business...

A lot of locals would show their cars at shows and one that was a favorite to go to was the now closed Idora Park in Youngstown Ohio, home of the first wooden roller coaster- "The Jack-Rabbit."

Here's how to embed videos;

1) Do NOT copy/paste the page url.
2) Click the "share" button - a embed button will appear underneath/to the left.
3) Scroll down and click the "embed" button - a blue highlighted address will appear.
4) Copy/paste THAT address in your post.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/heiYovdw5Ws" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A favorite -back when, was Lee Zeinert's 'Darth Vega'

These aren't my pics. I pulled them from google. It was 1979 when I last seen this chassis.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Back