Newb Bowhunter question

justsomedude

TreeHouser
I started researching tree climbing because last year I got a Newtribe Aerohunter Saddle...found out I enjoy climbing and need the workout :)
Now, I am using strap on steps/sticks to climb....
But I want to get proficient with rope climbing.

There is a low tree in my backyard I can use for practice.
For hunting, 15'-25' is as high as I need to go.
Need a simple, quiet setup that won't break a sweat (I hang in the saddle motionless for 4 hours after climbing and sweat ends a winter hunt quickly).
But it also needs to be easy to rig in the dark.

I borrowed ascenders from a friend...way too noisy and heavy just to go as high as I am going.
Also climbed a few times just using Slings girthed to the tree (one to harness, one to Foot Loop).
That was a workout. I would consider ascending that way and rappelling down but it's tedious.
I was using a rock climbing harness when I tried it.
Would be easier with my newtribe.

Should I just work on DRT Blake's Hitch climbing until it becomes easy?
Do I want to use a split tail setup from the beginning?
I love an 'all rope/knots' setup, but being able to clip it in is of more practical use for me.

PS
I hunt private land and can prerig 10- 15 throw lines and leave them out as I get good enough to climb quietly.

I have:
50' 11mm static
25' 11mm static (I carry it for self rescue)
Tree Saddle
ATC Guide descender (to Rappel)
Ropeman 1 Ascender (used for Linesmans belt)
Some Webbing loops, Prusik loops, Acessory cord, Carabiners, slings, Daisy chains

Thanks for any help/suggestions.
I want to get a good technical foundation

As a Bowhunter and climber, I suggest you don't mix the two. Climb for exercise and hunt for fun. Getting all your gear through the woods and getting up a tree silently will be more difficult than actually killing a deer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Understood!

I've already been using the Tree Saddle with Climbing Sticks and other climbing methods.
Right now, I am looking to increase my skill and safety of just being in a tree.
Along the way, I am finding climbing gear that is much better than hunting gear.
Like using Climbing Daisy Chains as my Gear hangers and being able to quickly put temporary tethers on to the tree while I am rigging my Saddle.

It may not be practical to use a rope up and down.
But I'll have fun learning anyway.

Ok...when I say 'motionless' I mean that I am not swinging around the tree for fun.

I keep a few options for my feet.
Branches, Webbing Foot loops, pushing against the tree, standing up on strap on footrests www.climbpaws.com

Definitely safer than flying Southwest all day.
I can feel the blod clots forming.

DRT, your Blake's hitch and a foot ascender will keep it as simple lightweight and quiet as possible.

Justin's advice is spot on, even down to the best foot ascender.

I just went out and did a few times up and down (LOW) using an Aider on a Prusik on my foot and a Blake's Hitch.
When I tried this last year, I wasn't putting my foot UNDER me, I didn't know how to tend the Prusik correctly, the Prusik was too low for me to reach easily and my Blake's was too high....AND I was in a less comfortable Rock/Mountaineering Harness.

I'm going to do this every day for a while.

Maybe just skip the foot stuff and hip thrust up the trunk. KISS

DRT and blake's is the way to go imho. I've double lunged many a deer with my bow. Never from a rope but I also hunt in west Texas ;-)

I'm going to work on the Hip thing...don't have the timing down.
The upside of a Foot Loop is that I can stand up on it to switch over to my Trunk Anchor or to help boost me up to a Branch.

Like Nathan said, just wear your saddle on the hike in, either have an easy to hit crotch or leave a small piece of throw line to set your line with and use a bowline and Blake's hitch. I do it every winter, works well for me.

72d4d53870fb1976e96e83684f328652.jpg

Some pictures for new tribe a year or so back

Cool picture!
That's a good reminder that the Saddle lets you hunt very differently from Treestands.

Back