New truck help!!!

matdand

TreeHouser
So, bad bad news, my truck crapped out on me today. Damn 6.5T won't hold it's pressure, apparently most likely cause would be crankshaft bearings. Anyway, time for a new truck. I really want a cabover this time, preferably with an aluminum box. I'm going to try this one out in the morning, 2013 ISUZU NRR 215 HP Automatic, 26k km, asking 63k.

https://camionstemarie.com/vehicles/isuzu-nrr-dompeur-2013/

It's a nice truck, but that will make some nice monthly payments also, especially during the winter months, so most likely out of the question.
Option 2 is this 2000 Hino FB1817, 168 HP, 5 speed stick, 160K, asking 25K negotiable. Original owner, only one driver.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-trucks...ck/1057673729?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I'm a little worried about the power on the Hino, even if it has a 17 800 GVWR, seems low at 168hp. I did run some Fuso FG140s when I was working for a guy and they only have like 150hp, but they would definetly struggle with larger loads. The Hino isn't a long term truck, but the dump body could always be swapped out if I do decide to upgrade.

What do you guys think? I know the truck is the cornerstone of any good company, but 63k is a good chunk of change for me right now.

$63k seems kind of high for a two year old truck. There is a 2015 f550 4x4 with 11' stainless dump bed for 61k at the dealer in town. Cabovers rule in turning!

Bummer to hear... I'm no expert on trucks, but I'm sure we can get some good feedback here. Good luck on your search!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya there are some nice trucks down south, but you have to figure +20-25% for exchange and import fees. Also, one of my important criteria is the truck has to be under 10k dry weight, so no CDL.

Oh ya, my biggest chipper is a 90xp, around 5k. Other than that I'd haul a dump trailer with wood sometimes. We do have some hills around here, depends which direction you drive.

Go drive the Hino.
That 168hp has 366 lb ft at 1500 rpm.

Not saying it will be a speed demon, but that's better specs than a lot of gas powered farm grain trucks.

Price, I can't speak to across the border.

Love our aluminum body on the cab over!!!

Ours is on a 2002 GMC 4500 (which is actually an Isuzu) but yeah- I won't go back.

Got mine for a steal $17,000. But I'll happily pay double that when I need another one.

63K is a lot newer that what I would be willing to spring for right now, too

love
nick

Well just got back from test-driving the 2013: really a nice truck. He said price is negotiable and will include inspections and tune-up, plus it still has 3 years on the factory warranty. Also, I'm about to call his finance guy, he said he might have some interesting offers to lower monthly payments. Let's see where this goes.

Is that 63k in Canadian dollars?
I saw some very nice cabovers while in Florida this past week. No hills to deal with down there.
Spoke with a couple of the crews and they really liked them.

Well, I just did some math: I bought a POS 6.5T three years ago for 17000$. Had the tranny redone twice + fuel pump once + fuel pump another time (pump was on warranty, but not time) + a whole bunch of other minor problems + all the time and energy spent = close to 30K for a 2000 3500HD. All that cumulates to pretty much the same amount per month (900$) as a brand spanking new truck. Plus, that 2000 Hino is sold. So I think I pretty much have figured out my situation :)

If I may ad some light to the subject, always look at the torque specs on pulling trucks not hp. I had a 3500 Dodge with a tweaked 12 valve. it only had around 400hp but had almost 900 ft lbs of torque. The little Hino may have small hp specs but it may have 400 ft lbs of torque which is decent. Plus diesels make all of their respected power below 3k rpms most times before 2500. I tend to agree with others, that's kind of expensive. The Hino's look to be good trucks as every LCP has switched to the around here it seems lol. I am green when it comes to climbing but gtg on diesels. If you ever need any help just holler. Oh and one more thing, if it's an auto tranny make sure to go for Allison first then Aisin they are both jam up HD auto tranny's.

I had a bucket with a 5x2 in it and when I changed motors I put a allison 6speed auto in it and I have to say I really like the auto. Much better at positioning the chipper on slopes and the like.

Pulled the trigger on the 2013 today, should have it next week. I figure I'll concentrate on tree work for a couple of years and forget about mecanics! It has the Aisin tranny, btw. Will post pics when I get it all dressed up.

Thinking of going with a vinyl dome top and wood sides. Should leave us plenty of height to load the mini if need be.
0b5fd6e7b45cfabd2b3865c1b247bad5.jpg

f3a797dde8fa734fafec284da3882f6f.jpg

Back