New to me way of chocking a log

PCTREE

Treehouser
Ok so we all know that having 2 straps on wood is nice when doing a crane removal since the pick lifts straight. Its nice but takes time to set 2 straps and get them 180 and level. Ok so for past 2 years or so Ive been using these lifting chains (freakin love them) and last week came up with this setup. Some here probably already use this but figured Id put it out there for discussion as it is super fast to set up, just have one chain hooked to the other, walk around spar and grab other chain and clip it then cable up and easily position it. I can set this up in like 30 seconds....

Any body see any negative?? 1.jpg

We call that a Swede or a bridle. If your straps to short to reach around by itself this gives your more length. Really nice on big wood

OK so if it has a name it must be legit. Cool because I love using it !!

Yup loggers have used bridles for ever. Jut put the knob of the choker in the other bell. Usually on a 8'+ dia piece we would bridle for the extra pulling strength and added choker length. Balances the load between the two as well.

We bought those chains as well and I was explaining the technique to my son the other day. Watching video of a crane removal I could see how he was fighting with the chain weight. Lower the chains a bit at a time as you lead the end around the trunk. The headsets are great for that.

I used a similar set up yesterday to unload a big b&b tree only I had grab hooks.
Nice for picking but makes it a pain to lay the logs down

I have used it - the big issue is that when tension is taken off the system, you loose all grip & the chains will simply slide off.
We used it a lot for bigger timber when we needed to have a vertical lift

How do you balance really long limbs with chains? We use spider legs here.....longest is 40'...rigger rides and rigs..then raps off ball.
Perfect just about every time

we use that setup with cable chokers, call it Chinese finger (as in chinese finger trap). i usually cut a couple notches as insurance against slippage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
John, I do OK balancing stuff with the chains, They are adjustable by the link, only problem is the adjustment is at the top of the chain. I am going to make a spider leg out of tenex just for a 3rd point. I don't get to crazy about having every thing perfectly balanced, just keep it well within chart and roll. Which is exactly why I like this setup so much, so quick!

with the bridle setup each hook of the chain is attached to the other chain so you just have one choked loop, if that's what you are asking.

And what is your job and who would run you off it?? Rated lifting chains used within their capabilities.

When I'm not welding for the steamfitters I'm in the quarries or mines. My employers would laugh/run me off the job, MSHA could level the fine. Chains just aren't used to lift. Hell, the ol schoolers won't even allow nylon slings near the crane. Not my rules I just do what I'm paid to.

It's hard to understand why using chain that is graded for lifting would be frowned upon or subject to penalties. Chains are more durable than any other type of sling, and are considered to work best under rugged conditions. Cost and weight are thought of as the major downsides.

Checking out the stats...

A single fixed leg sling where you have two hooks simply connected by chain between, has a lower working strength rating than a two legged chain sling, where two chains are attached to an oval ring that would go over the crane hook. Are you using either of those types or two separate chains?

Increasing the spread of the chain from the crane hook down to the log, reduces the rated lifting capacity. That applies to both of those connected together types, single or double leg. Going from a 60 degree spread to a thirty degree spread, reduces it almost by half. Chains are a hell a strong, looking at the working capacities.

Chain isn't best to "choke" a pipe or beam with. MSHA requires chain to have a load factor of 5 vs. a load factor of 2 for wire rope chokers if I remember right. You just don't see chain used for lifting on heavy industry sites. Wood is a different story. It's soft enough for the chain to get a "bite" and not slip. Steel not so soft.

Chain isn't best to "choke" a pipe or beam with. MSHA requires chain to have a load factor of 5 vs. a load factor of 2 for wire rope chokers if I remember right. You just don't see chain used for lifting on heavy industry sites. Wood is a different story. It's soft enough for the chain to get a "bite" and not slip. Steel not so soft.

So are you using wire rope chokers on beams and pipe?

Back