New Rope Question

bruce6670

Treehouser
I'm about to order a new bull rope and was considering 5/8" stable braid. The main thing it will be used for is pulling over trees no bigger than 24" in diameter and maybe 60'-70' tall. Is there something that would be better for this, or should I go with stable braid ?

Ditto what Butch said. :thumbup:

For trees on the small-medium size the 1/2" Arbormaster is usually more than adequate but the 5/8" gives you a lot bigger margin on the heavier trees. This is especially important if you're pulling with a machine where the amount of pull may not always be gentle.

I used my 5/8" about once a year, if that. Took it out of the truck this year and never needed it. 1/2 arbor master is my first choice, 1/2 stable braid if my choice for GRCS and a lot of block work.

I'm crazy like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool. I'll go with 5/8" stable braid. I currently use 1/2" True Blue which is just a little too small on some of the bigger stuff. I think I've been pushing my luck a few times.

Thanks.:thumbup:

I currently use 1/2" True Blue which is just a little too small on some of the bigger stuff. I think I've been pushing my luck a few times.

That's when you break out the bigger stuff. A 1/2 bullrope has it's place, for danged sure, but if that's your only bullrope...

I was also considering a 2 ton come along. If I did, what would be the best cordage to use for a prussic ? Or is there a better way to hook the come along to the rope ? I do have a Macro Grab that I could use.

Bruce I love the use of a cats paw, simple with a half hitch for security.

a prussic is good for the need more distance aspect

Last edited:
We use 3/8 Ultra Tech with prussic. The jacket on the Ultra Tech will melt from the stress if you over do it before it harms the Stable braid.
We use primarily 2 ton units. The Ultra Tech grips well.

Bruce I love the use of a cats paw, simple with a half hitch for security.

a prussic is good for the need more distance aspect

I'm definitely looking to be able to adjust it if I run out of cable. A cats paw could come in handy on some pulls though.

We use 3/8 Ultra Tech with prussic. The jacket on the Ultra Tech will melt from the stress if you over do it before it harms the Stable braid.
We use primarily 2 ton units. The Ultra Tech grips well.

Do you splice it or just tie double fisherman's knots ?

I tie a sliding double fishermans knot. If I am feeling I need two legs, I will tie the fishermans knot at each end. I have knot learned to splice as yet. ABS I think of the 3/8s is 10,000 Lbs.

Attachments

• Ultra Tech Prussic.JPG
    Ultra Tech Prussic.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for the picture. It also answered my next question which was how many wraps are you using on the prussic.

Bruce, have you considered a continuous rope puller? Never run out of cable. 1500 pound capacity. Can use within a 2:1 MA if you need more power, bringing you up to 1.5 ton capacity. Might/ might not be within your rope's WWL.

Masdaam rop puller and a half inch line would do the trick fine, better than having to pull the cable back out on a come along every time. If you were pulling the trees over with a some mechanical devise, I'd say 5/8ths stable braid would be what you want but by hand or by come along, I think the 9/16ths or 1/2" would be fine.

I've had a rope puller for years and it works well on the smaller stuff. I need something beefier so i can be safer on the bigger trees. As for the 2 to 1 MA, I don't feel comfortable with that set up. That puller doesn't seem all that strong.

Fair enough. I get a lot of mileage out of mine when I need it.

Your input to the system (rope puller) is not experiencing double loading, only the block and sling that would attach the line pulled by the RP to the bull rope attached to the tree.

I know it's the same amount of loading on the puller. My concern was that with the 2 to 1 MA,it would make it easier to pull, therefore allowing me to put more tension on it.

My rope for pulling trees over is an 18 ton Dyneema.
Way overkill on small trees, but I can use it for any size trees and not have to think when loading the truck.

Back