New 372s

cory

Tree House enthusiast
3 of my old, everyday-use 372s were stolen a few months ago, they were great saws, no complaints at all, they had amazing longevity as well. So I replaced them with 3 new ones cuz why change a good thing (though I wish I had read the 562 thread before and I would have tried one of them instead).
The new ones cut and handle very well just like the old ones and the fuel economy seems to be a bit better too. One MAJOR COMPLAINT though: they start very, very poorly and hard.
When cold and pulling choked, one annoyance is that the cough you listen for when pulling, after which you off the choke and then expect it to start on the next 2 or 3 pulls, is barely audible, which caused many flooding situations until I got used to it.
But the MAJOR PROBLEM is that starting them when warm takes 4 to 7 pulls and that is ridiculous IMO. The brass tacks of it is that it caused nasty elbow tendonitis in me, and my 23 year old climber who is strong as an ox says it f's up his shoulder. And god forbid if a warm saw has been sitting awhile and youve got to decide whether to choke it or not based on how cold it may have gotten, well if you guess wrong youre looking at 10 to 15 pulls. It gets so you are hesitant to turn off the saw, and you send idling saws up to the climber so he wont have to start them aloft.
I start the saws whenever possible with them resting on the ground which is something Ive never done before and is a hassle and a time waster.

What say you, saw experts?? All input is thankfully appreciated.

Agreed, I cant stand any kind of THIEF personally. Thief is a fing THIEF to me.

Seems like the problem is inadequate fuel getting into the cylinder. Wonder if they made carb changes? Is their possibly excessive length hose in the tanks, perhaps shortening the route would help?

Shame if that is the new normal... why must perfection be fooled around with.... seems 'new and improved' rarely is...

Worked on a friend's office computer; he has three of the 562s and says all five of his crew members reach for them first; even with 372s around...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hate a thief too. I say go Thailand on their ass and kill em or cut off a good portion of their body, or shoot on sight, etc etc.

Paul, I guess the answer is yes but it's few and far between due to the bucket and a good climber on staff. But I am thinking the Wraptor may help get me back in the swing!!

Cut4fun, I figured you'd pump in some technical insight here...

Shame if that is the new normal... why must perfection be fooled around with.... seems 'new and improved' rarely is...
That is the gospel truth.

Are yours new 372s? My old ones always started fine.

Thankyou reddog, I will read it tomorrow.

Sound lean on L side. I'm just taking a WAG here. But have you tried opening (richen) the L side on the carb up some?

Sound lean on L side. I'm just taking a WAG here. But have you tried opening (richen) the L side on the carb up some?

The Low jet is turned virtually as far ccw as it will go, just a tiny bit more ccw and the screw stops.

Whats a metering lever?

Yes, problems from day one.

Under the metering diaphragm, the one with the pin in the center, not the thin pump diaphragm, is a lever on a fulcrum pin and spring. That lever has to be a certain height in relation to the floor of the carburetor, flat to it, or flat to a raised portion surrounding it. Repair manuals will tell the proper height setting. With the pulsations of the saw the lever goes up and down and raises up a needle which regulates fuel going into the cylinder. The lever can be bent so that it isn't the proper height, and if too low, you won't get sufficient fuel. It could be a screw up at the factory it occurs. It is under the diaphragm and gasket on the side of the carburetor with four screws holding the cap, generally. It may seem complicated, but it is real easy to check that. It usually requires removing the carb, which you may not want to do on a new saw. Sometimes if the carb is sitting in the saw with that cap side up and you have access to it, you can check without pulling the carb. It occurs that the diaphragm could maybe have a tear in it as well.

Good ideas there. One thing to note is that all 3 372s have the same problem, so torn diaphragm is not it I'm guessing

Oh, sorry I missed that, if more than one new saw has the same problem, the lever likely isn't the source of it. Hard to figure what it might be then.

Here is the basic idea on the lever, anyway. No special tools required, just a straightedge, unless specific clearance is required and they have a tool available. A straight edge with a feeler gauge would also work in that case.

http://www.zamacarb.com/images/techsupport/AdjMeteringHeight.pdf

Back