Muzzleloader thread

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
I'm curious who shoots muzzleloader here? I'm starting to get more into it and am having more questions about it. I have an inline and not a traditional so it seems a little more challenging to find info on the Internet......

Does a ship's cannon count?
Black powder, wadding and a short wick...BOOM!

Home made from shaft steel, 24" long, 1/12" bore :)

Actually I think it’s an interesting gun control point that at one time Kentucky Muzzleloading Rifles were the “assault rifles” of the day. On at least one occasion the British organized a big town event attended by those from the surrounding area. One requirement was that all firearms be secured in a barn till the festivities were over. At the end of the day armed British soldiers prevented the people from retrieving over 600 firearms. Many had to return to their homes through hostile Indian territory.

Bought a Dixie Gun Works flintlock Kentucky rifle kit in 71 (1971 that is). Great fun to shoot.

I've got three inlines, a Knight and a couple of CVAs. I built a cap lock gun years ago and hunted with it for a decade. If you're into traditional, go for it. When the inlines came out, I gave my cap lock to a friend to put over his fireplace. We have a lot of primitive weapon hunts here and as I get older, dependability, accuracy and ease of cleaning means more than traditional looks. Stainless barrels, Leupold scopes and jacketed bullets are not real primitive, but they sure put meat in the freezer.

I've never been into blackpowder guns. It's blunderbuss season here now, but I haven't heard a shot all year.

:lol:

I think blunderbuss is a fitting term. I am such an a hole any more, as rebellion against the tacticool crowd I want to take an old cap lock and mount a laser, bayonet, Nightforce scope, IR light, regular light, and a disco ball, oh and paint the SOB coyote tan. I bet no one would say anything. :|:

Man, I'd love to show up on a hunt here with a pink gun:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good to see others into the sport here. I have been shooting Power Belt bullets and White Hot pellets..... Which is probably the most expensive combo possible. I want a cheaper option for plinking at the range. I actually did a fair amount of research and decided to play around with round balls and loose powder. I know there will be accuracy issues compared to what I was shooting but I don't really mind. I'm just looking to play around with something different.

I shot 777 pellets and was not real happy with them. I bought plain old Pyrodex RS just to see how that works. Not much price difference between Pyrodex and 777 powder.

For good old plinking, black powder and cast bullets or round balls on a reduced load are a easy combo.

My hunting loads for the inline are white hots pushing a .44 265 hornaday in a mmp sabot.

Yeah, I heard you need to reduce your load to 50-65 grains for round balls out of a 1:26" twist barrel. I haven't had the chance shoot yet, maybe next weekend.

50 grains is considered the lowest starting point in a 50cal. 70 grains with round balls is a good start most times in any twist. Max would be 110 grains.

Maxi bullets should shoot good out of that twist also. http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_99_311_313&products_id=1363

Crisco is one of the better patch and bullet lubes I have used. Also easy to get.
Lube the patches and stack them together in a plastic bag for a few days before you need them. Lets the lube soak into the fabric fibers.

Black solve is still my cleaner of choice also. http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_102_502&products_id=2070

My buddy has maxi bullets that he shoots out of his gun at the range and deer hunts with them. I will probably try those out next. He buys his prelubed. I have prelubed patches that I bought at Cabelas. I was in Scheels the other day and found that they actually have a huge muzzleloader section..... Much better than Cabelas has.

Back