MS201T

I'd never argue that Stihl is better than Husky, or viceversa (though at times I'm sure I've sounded like a Stihloholic :)). There never was and never will be ANY saw manufacturer that uniformly produced absolute superior products across their whole line of offerings. They've both had some duds and some beauties, and a bunch in the middle.

I'm a devoted Stihl user for one reason only...outstanding dealer support in my local community. Until THAT changes, Husky will have to suck hind teat with me.

Like I've said before we have no dealer support for any thing other than Stihl .The closest Husqvarna dealer is 40 miles away and he is dumb as a pile of rocks .Fact I've wrenched some back to running he was too ignorant to get .

That's a good question which I can't answer .It might have something to do with having Lowes ,TSC ,Home Depot selling consumer grade saws to the general public .

Years ago when McCulloch for example started peddling saws via K-Mart etc it became a point the dealers couldn't make any money selling them at box store prices .It might be the same with Husqvarna .

I had heard but cannot confirm that for example Aspludh has nation wide contracts with Huskey and they go through a lot of saws per year .They just pick one up at a local Huskey dealer and pay less for it than the dealer does wholesale .

I wouldn't neccessarily suggest that Stihl is circling the drain .What I think has happened with not only Stihl but others is in order to meet with EPA regulations they have resorted to new designs.

I'm aware of all this Al. The problem is that stihl is failing at their task, while Husqvarna is actually taking these mandates and using them to create benchmark chainsaws. My original point is that I think now would be an excellent time for men to broaden their horizons when they are forced to purchase new saws. I won't say which company is superior, as I am not nearly important enough in life to make that call. I will say that at this moment Husqvarna is king of the mountain and I would encourage any man in the market for a new saw to look that way.

I will say that at this moment Husqvarna is king of the mountain and I would encourage any man in the market for a new saw to look that way.
On that many in the professional line of work locally wish there were local servicing dealers .The fact remains there simpley are none .

As a matter of fact Tom had two of his favorites he used for years namely a 181 and a 281 .He rated them almost as good as his old 066 which is saying something .One was stolen and I have the remaining in my shed which in which I recently installed new seals .

Now he for one would buy a better grade of Husqvarna products but the fact remains they just are not available .None of the local trimmers who bought the 335 trim saws years ago had any luck with them so it will be years even if there were local dealerships would they sell any .Fact I've got three of those little rascals in my shed in various stages of non running or non oiling .

Put yourself in these guys shoes .No service .I can wrench them but I have to order parts and these guys need those saws to make a living not wait three weeks until somebody like me can fix them .You can't run a business that way and expect to make a go of it .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cory,

You'll have to take my 201 on a test run on a job. Don't worry I wont need it, I have three 200's hanging out home :P

I ran it today and feel a noticeable difference from the muffler mod. I want you to verify this for me.

Al if you can't get service I agree that you gotta run what you can. I have some superb stihl saws but pickers when they break because I can't get good service here. I'll bet if I could get great stihl service here I might not even be familiar with other brands.

I have 2 husky dealers near me. One is 1 mile away, on my road, ajd the other is 7 miles away ajd I only make 1 left to get there. Both dealers treat me like a king. I have a jonsered dealer 2 towns over that has been really good so far.

Husqvarna has had the pro market wrapped up in the big logging operations here in Canada since 1974-76 when they introduced the 2100 and 162.
Stihl or anyone else for all that goes at the time didn't have a saw that could match these 2 Husky models for ergonomics and power to weight ratio. But I have to say there was alot of diehard Stihl loggers in the PNW of Washington and Oregon who stuck with the squareish 056 right up until the early '90s.

Cory,

You'll have to take my 201 on a test run on a job. Don't worry I wont need it, I have three 200's hanging out home :P

I ran it today and feel a noticeable difference from the muffler mod. I want you to verify this for me.

I'd be more than happy to! My are running acceptably now but there's always room for improvement.

I actually like the 201 better than the Husky climber (338 I think) that I bought during the 200-201 transitional period- the Husky has the air filter fight next to the dogs so it hits dirty very fast which then lowers the low idle speed which causes the saw to stall at idle which makes it hard to get much done safely, having to constantly pulse the throttle. And the 201 has a bit better ergonomics.

Um, yeah, I'd vouch for Reg's saw skills.

Speculation on my part but I believe it all goes back to the process of basically using fresh air as a portion of the the intial blowdown portion of the transfer cycle .

Al, perhaps you should have worked at NASA8)

... My original point is that I think now would be an excellent time for men to broaden their horizons when they are forced to purchase new saws... I will say that at this moment Husqvarna is king of the mountain and I would encourage any man in the market for a new saw to look that way....

I guess that lets me off the hook then...:D

Major bummer, was insured fortunately. Crafty thieves hot wired our aerial lift which was parked in front of the metal storage container and then torched the door with a plasma cutter!!!!!!

That's a crying shame.

Death to thieves.

Where do you live? That description is frightening, most dirt bag thieves don't go nearly that far, just use a crow bar, screwdriver, and their grubby stinkin hands.

Santa Barbara, Ca. Kinda like staying two steps ahead of Al Qaeda now!!! hard to guess whats next...

Back