MS201T

I've seen Brad since that thing first hit the internet but no mention of that saw was discussed nor did I see the saw .

Most likely our paths will cross the second of June at a GTG in central Ohio and maybe either that saw or another one like it will show up .

A couple things entered my mind with this on going discussion concerning the type porting these things use .It has dawned on me that perhaps one reason these things or rather the 441 to be specific doesn't run real good until it gets warmed up is because of the use of fresh air during the blowdown cycle .

It would make sense assuming that because the inrush of cooler air until warmed by the engine would effectively keep the cylinder temperature down making the combustion cycle less effective .Speculation on my part .

In that speculation it might be such a thing that advancing the timing which can't be much so that the max pressure rise would occur closer to top dead center which if same were hindered by low cylinder temp might not occur exactly as it should until warmed .Another guess .

When you come to that subject a lot of people blow hot air . Lakeside Andy knows his stuff though so does TW .I think they both became weary of internet BS and stopped posting .

Back to the 201 .I'm afraid this design of engine people are just going to be stuck with eventually .Eventually in my opinion any method of enhancing them will be tried .Some will work and some will not .

Problem as I see it being these things cost a bloody fortune ,not eveybody can afford to buy one just to tinker with .

I mean it's not like guys like myself who buy 25 year old saws for under a hundred bucks ,repair and soup them up with less than 200 in it when it's all done .Geeze that 201 will set you back 600 and change ,a 441 add another 250 or so .That's a lotta green to be shelling out on a toy .

Yes. Brad started out that way. He's probably an OK builder now, but I wouldn't send him a saw to massage. Do plan on sending one or more to Mastermind though.

Speaking of Andy, I visited him yesterday to borrow his big Alaskan Mill. We're removing a birch in the backyard today, and I'm going to mill it enough to carry out some slabs.

Andy quit posting on AS because he ran out of time and interest, not from what anyone might have affected him. He's super busy in other areas..like machining and doing some lucreative consulting work for old contacts--in hi main area of expertise... He got two Bridgeports and made one complete one from parts from the second.

Her's also not feeling good at the moment--his gout flared up, and the medication adds to the extreme discomfort.

No, I don't have a bad word to say about Andy! He helped me out a lot, same with THall, but they both got burned out with PM's about stupid shit!
I'd heard he was doing well in other interest, I'm glad to hear its true!
IMO Brad isn't any better a hack than I am, gets the principles, but not the true dynamics! Mastermind, he's been building some good saws, but no reports on longevity yet? But, we aren't seeing his saws in the market place shortly after being purchased either!

Her's also not feeling good at the moment--his gout flared up, and the medication adds to the extreme discomfort.
From one who's been there tell Stihl Andy Lakeside to get some pure black cherry juice and slug down a couple 4 oz shots a day .It used to get me so bad I had to use a cane to walk at times .It works ,no kidding .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, I def. muffler modded mine yesterday. Added another hole in the muffler as a suggestion from another site. Drilled the pin out of the the high speed jet to get full adjustment. It's hard to hear it four stroking though as that's almost the sound of the engine anyways. It def. cuts better modded and richened up a little bit, but surely need to figure out the "right" spot.

My 2 201s are finally running pretty good KNOCK ON WOOD. They each needed a new carb after all my hair was pulled out. And they are a little wierd in that they won't cut right unless you bear down on the wood. I keep them sharp so that isn't a problem, but unless you bear down a bit, they will run boggy. So, all you gotta do to like your 201 is get a new carb and change your cutting style:/:

I'll hold out with my old stock and see what the market brings over the next couple years. I'm so thankful I'm not forced to deal with the current mess.

Speculation on my part but I believe it all goes back to the process of basically using fresh air as a portion of the the intial blowdown portion of the transfer cycle .

Stop and think about it .If you blow cold fresh air into a basically a cold cylinder what does that do ? It cools off the cylinder making the rate of expansion and the combustion of the power cycle less effective .Now once you bear down on the saw and heat the cylinder up they cut better after a short period of time .That's exactly the way Toms' 441 does and I assume what the 201 does because they are the same design .

Al, fresh air "layer" on top of the fuel/air charge which helps in pushing out residual exhaust gas and keep fuel/air charge from short circuiting out the exhaust as tradional two strokes do. No doubt a cooling effect with the fresh air as well.

Alrighty then Adam ,where you been ?:thumbupold: On this subject though I really have never heard of anyone having what they deemed as great success in reworking any saw of this design as compaired to the traditional designs we have became accustomed to .

I think some have had limited success just not what they anticipated .On that probabley someone will hit on the magic formula some day but anybody that has is being tight lipped about it .

Why would anyone stick with Stihl climbing saws if they are producing trash? Guys live and breath Stihl products so bad that they don't even stop to see that other companies are not only complying with new saw regs, but setting new benchmarks for saw performance. Stihl is NOT doing that. 201, 441, 362, etc. This is a joke. Stihl once made world class tools that no man could knock. That day is over. I'd truly recommend looking at all the other tools on the horizon. Huskys upcoming climbing saw is supposed to make history, and that's according to those that have gotten to try it. I have guys all around me buying the new 550xp, 560, 562xp autotune, 372xp, and 576xp autotune and they aren't just pleased, they're blown away by these tools.

Broaden the horizons fellas. Stihl is circling the drain.

Anyone ran a modded 201 yet? Saw Reg Coates posted this, seems to run a lot better now.

The 201 a a minute or two in.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TSPuIJB_VlA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Adrian, I hate to have to say this, but that saw operator is one of the worst I have ever seen. He sure doesn't do justice for those saws.

I wouldn't neccessarily suggest that Stihl is circling the drain .What I think has happened with not only Stihl but others is in order to meet with EPA regulations they have resorted to new designs .

Now it might appear on this site which has a greater number of professional user than most is these designs don't meet high expectations .Keep in mind though that professional users only account for a small portion of their over all sales .

Occasional users that buy professional quality saws are a very small percentage as well .Of those one would have to agree that their choice if that no matter which brand would give them years and years of service .

So there ya go ,Ford verses Chevy .

Back