MS201T

They probly knew I was going to use it, Im guessing the box is just for the powerhead... They sell it to you all assembled around here so it just wouldnt fit in the box I guess...

Yah it's all assembled just minus the bar. I now do the pre-run and assembly myself ever since the bar and chain fell off one of the 200t's I recently bought at about 25' up taking a top out of a birch tree.

The dealer told me I should be double checking that before running. I told them if I needed to double check their assembly then to just not bother assembling them anymore.

One of my local dealers assembled one for me once. Put the chain on homeowner-tight and then fired up the saw and held it a full throttle until the chain got hot and stretched out enough to spin halfway decent. I cussed him out for that and never bought another saw from that shop.

Just throwing this out there because I do not need one. I was shopping at my 4 stihl dealers today and all within 45mins of me. 1 had a new 200T on the shelf $580 plus about 8% tax.

For the extra pound, I'm gonna stock up. For years the refinement and advancement were all with the goal of lighter weight and more power. Today with the EPA that is no longer the goal. Saws are getting heavier instead of lighter. They are finally going to castrate the 200T so I'm buying a couple extras.

I found 2 in Georgia yesterday and bought them. I might buy one or two more but they are expensive little tools. :O

So regarding my crappy 201T, when it runs well (which is about 70% of the time) it's adequate- the slow balky warm up, the slightly lesser power compared to 200T, that stuff is tolerable.But I definetly don't like when it decides to suddenly start fast idling- it did it today when I was reaching inside the chipper chute to weaken a crotch, decides to fast idle when I'm inching the saw right next to the wall of the chute, inviting kick back, dulling, etc. But I learned how to make it stop, that POS: remove and replace the gas cap. You will see the tank has plenty of fuel in it but will prob hear a phffft sound indicating pressure release. Should run well after that till the next time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting! I haven't used mine since the scary random high idle incident. Will make a note of that next time.

Have you treid cleaning the fuel tank breather? Sounds like the pressure is not able to equalize.

No, it's brand new, I'm gonna let the dealer play with it.

So I brought back to the dealer the worst of my 2 new 201s, he put a new carb in it under warranty and it runs decent now. Too bad I pulled out a lot of hair trying to get that thing to run...

So I brought back to the dealer the worst of my 2 new 201s, he put a new carb in it under warranty and it runs decent now. Too bad I pulled out a lot of hair trying to get that thing to run...

So is it performing up to 200T standards?

Some people reckon they do.

I had a look at one the other day. At my dealer they are selling for about $400 less than the 200 was last year.

I couldn't feel any weight difference, and it was well balanced but I don't need one just yet.

So is it performing up to 200T standards?

No. I would say it is a solid saw and performs as well as the small Husky (#338?) but it isn't as good as a 200. If a 200 is a "10" then the 201 is an "8"

I will never understand the logic (or lack thereof), in a company like Stihl stopping production of a proven winner to introduce a failure like the 201 seems to be. I wonder if a petition would get them to go back to the 200T. Looks like it would only make good business sense.

Not gonna happen. New EPA rules mandate that emissions be reduced on all saws. There have been phase in periods, with some saws like the 880 and 3120 and 660 being given a bit of a reprieve.

Not going to argue that point, but I doubt that all the 200Ts in the world are throwing out enough pollution to do much damage in the grand scheme of things. Reckon how many 200Ts it would take to equal the pollution of one coast to coast airliner?

Doesn't matter.
Stupid politics make for bad saws.
That is how it is and none of our moaning and bitching about it is gonna chance that.

The thing I don't get is that car engines have been throwing out increased power and less pollution per cubic centimeter over the last 15 years, why are 2 stroke engines going the other way?

Just makes me wish I'd bought a few and put them aside for the future. I'm not sure what the life expectancy of a 200T is, yet. I got my first one last year, new, then bought another one used off eBay. I've been using the used one mostly as it came with a 14" lightweight bar. Six months of fairly regular use hasn't seemed to do more than break it in good. But then I still use one of my 192s on jobs where the cutting is mostly small limbs. I've got 'em, and I figure they need to earn their keep.

I hope it may come back up here(the 200t), we have 440's back up here now. Brand new on the dealer shelf.

I found the thread on AS which was mentioned here, about awakening the 201T.
Aside some faulty carbs someone spoke time to time, it seems that the 201T has the potential of a pretty good saw, even better than the 200T. The stock version could be sleepy, but after two easy-to-do mods, it becomes really a new saw.

The hardest part should be the carb tunning, because of the rev limiter (the saw doesn't "speak" as usual).

Back