MS201T

There is a local tree company demoing the new husky right now. Waiting to hear what they think.

I just fixed 3 of their 192t's, bet they don't wanna go back to using them. LOL

I am probably going to talk someone into picking up a 2139 Jonsered once I find out 1) who can, 2) who will 3) after I buy another 200T :D
I really wanna try that saw.

Would be interested to hear your complaints.
Doesn't start easlily when cold.
Takes like 3 min to warm up, instead of 10 sec which is normal.
Frequently goes to very high idle (chain spinning fast=deadly); if you activate the chain break or hit the bar on some wood it will sometimes go back to normal idle, until the next time you rev the engine then it usually high-idles again; acts like a combination of vapor lock and sticky throttle.
Has 10-20% less cutting speed than a 200. With a 200, if you are up in the bucket and have to make a cut or 2 or 3 in big wood, you do it; with a 201 you don't do it cuz it will take too long, you get a bigger saw.

I have both 200ts and 2139s. 2139 seemed like a good saw for a while but it seems to have lost some power now so we always use 200s. IMO stills last longer..

My 2139T has lasted 4 years. It's a bit down on power and is hard to start when hot.....the only remaining problem that these saws have (it's a red/black 338 XPT)

Of course, it has to have a ported muffler to run with a 200T. Anyhow, call Bob here and tell him I sent ya. He may still be able to get the 2139's, which are or were cheaper than the 338, for some reason.
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeowner/dealers/ashokan-turf-timber/featured-products/

I have both 200ts and 2139s. 2139 seemed like a good saw for a while but it seems to have lost some power now so we always use 200s. IMO stills last longer..
I have the 200T and 33XPT in my fleet. The 338 I muffler modded and I honestly can't tell any difference in power at work. Maybe I got a lucky and found a good 338.
I'll have to take both saws and make 3 timed cuts through a 10"X10" spruce ,both using the same b/c. If I can get my YouTube account to work, I'll report with that route.

The Husky T540XP might be the answer at this time. But from reading their website the saw gives off 75% less emissions, which tells me it definately needs a muffler mod.

In regards to the 201 in comparrison to the 200 .I've never ran a 201 .However I have ran a 441 and found about the same thing true on that design of engine comparing it to a 440.

Once you get it wound up it does just fine .It just takes a time getting there . However as I've stated before I have my own theory as to why .

So I had a good job to test my month old 201 today. We took down 6 large spruce with the crane so there was a boatload of limbing to be done at the chipper. So often in treework, a saw is used sporadically so it can be difficult to assess the way it really runs, especially if it is a new saw which may not be fully broken in. Early in the day I was starting to get psyched about it as it seemed to be cutting well overall and basically as good as a 200. But then it started doing the nasty very-high idle thing causing extremley dangerous imo fast moving chain when idling. OK, I thought, maybe when it is low on fuel (as opposed to virtually out of fuel) it goes high idle, but the fuel tank was still half full. If you smack the bar on wood, it sometimes stops the high idle, but then it comes back later.

What thoughts do y'all have? Taking it back to the dealer seems like a bad idea cuz when they run it for 10 minutes it will most likely run fine. It didn't start in on me till about 2 hours of cutting at the chipper. And this was not a heavy duty application- was just cutting off spruce limbs 5" thick and smaller.:roll:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree with that, Cory. Mine just starting doing that high idle, very dangerous.

I looked at my shinny new 200T in the box in my attic the other day, just can't get myself to put it into service.:P

I heard the high idle happening with a lot of people, though.

Weird problem for a newer saw, Cory. Is the fuel line in the tank where it should be? Carb...like dirt in a passage or somehow the metering got buggered up?

I haven't taken the plunge for a new 201T, yet. The mixed reviews still has me sceptical. I'm almost considering a different brand top handle saw. But, I like the fact that I have 3 Stihl dealers in my town. Anyone think I'd be crazy to try a Dolmar 3410? Are they sold in the U.S.?

Yeah they do that on the new engines when they get warm. My Echos will often do the same thing. Do what the Sqwerl said and see if it will run ok. The Echos never seem to dial in right, not that I can dial them in. Friggen special tools and all that. But the dealer messes with them and it does it soon there after still or again depending on the point of view. I personally think it is the design of the new engines. The difference in how they run from start to finish of the day is pretty oddly different.

Why the heck can't Stihl keep making 200s the way Husky kept making 372s?

Probably an age old reason why a lot of good products get discontinued. The people making them aren't the same ones using them.

The johnny 2139 was mentioned 2 pages ago. I went to one. It's a fine saw. Period. Doesn't have the chain speed of a 200t but has lots of torque. I find it really shines in larger wood. It motors right on through. The sound is deceiving. I've spent years listening to the howl of a 200t with no screen. The johhny doesn't sound like that. So my mind wanted to trick me at first and think that its not as fast because it doesn't sound as fast. Not the case. I don't think its exactly as fast as the stihl, but its close, and not broken in yet. Also I'm still running the little full chisel reduced kickback chain that's on it. Haven't had time to go get the right chain. I seem to think that with the right chain, and broken in all the way, that johnny will stand right next to a 200t. The saw starts like a dream so far. Sips fuel. Great ergonomics. Can be had for around 400 bucks and at a glance, is built as well as a 600 dollar stihl. Time will tell, but for now, I am tickled.

Back