MS201T

View attachment 35895

Well, there she is. It will never be this clean again. Like the integrated bar nut, but don't like how it is a different size then the other bar nuts. Now I have to keep a different scrench around. Also, the spark arrester was pissing me off and I still haven't gotten it out. Wish I could buy patience sometimes. :)

More curious about how she cuts and runs ;)

:lol: Nice, Jeff.
I talked to my dealer today and they bought 12 200t's when they heard the 201 were on the way. Still didn't buy a new one. I have 5 in service, should last me some time

Saws in boxes don't impress, anybody could buy them. Oil and sap make them handsome, especially in the hands of someone who really appreciates what they can do. I'll take one in a box, though. :D

Ummm, saws fresh out of boxes catch my attention, for some reason they look less like work to me!

FJR,

I would be very interested in how these new 201's run compared to the 200's. How about a treeman's review so to speak.

FJR,

I would be very interested in how these new 201's run compared to the 200's. How about a treeman's review so to speak.

I ran it today, and it really feels a lot like the motor on the HT 131, which feels like a lot of torque. Is it better than the 200t? I don't really know yet. The 200t feels like a 2 stoke and the 201t feels like a 4 stroke. More high end power in the 200t and more low end power in the 201t. I am probably not the best person to ask since I don't know nearly as much as a lot of people here do, but that is what I have gathered so far. I think after running it more I will be able to distinguish the two a little better.

I bought the last 2 200t's at my dealers today. Gonna keep them on the shelf until needed.

Different size bar nuts...what, are they nuts? Why on earth did they do that? That's one of the really nice things about Stihl, a lot of the same sized basic stuff on all the saws!

Check the flippy cap...it has MARKS on it to let you see how to line it up...ooooh, aaaah....:roll::what:

I did find a little more info on the 201 from my dealer but neither of us have seen the new 201. I don't know if this info is correct or not. The new saw has a stratofied engine and Stihl is calling it a 2 mix. Unlike the 4 mix which has the little valves . The 2 mix has an extra intake port. I am not sure about this until I actually see one and take it apart.

The new 201 also has a chip in it moniter fuel and air mixture for the carb. If the module goes bad that part alone will be over $300 bucks. The dealer filled me in on this one and I haven't heard a word about the chip on the internet.

I don't know what is up with this 201 . I just hope Stihl hasn't fumbled the ball with this new replacement saw for the 200 just to satisfy the EPA.

I just hope Stihl hasn't fumbled the ball with this new replacement saw for the 200 just to satisfy the EPA.
Just may well be , but my hunch is Stihl and Husqvarna are in a competitive design restructure war for their new electronic controlled strato saws.

Here's the skinny on stratifield from what I gather .The second set of intake ports pulls in a charge of air which is transfered through side windows in the piston and is used for the blow down cycle of the engine .A regular 2 cycle uses the air mixed fuel mixture from the first part of a normal transfer cycle to preform same .

Now as such it would make sense that at different rpm ranges either engine design would act differently .

For example on Toms' 441 in comparrison to say an 044 the 441 takes a tad longer to wind up and get with it as the 044 but once on r's on it does fine .Now things to consider is the fact the fuel air mixture is ran through the crankcase and absorbs some heat where as the blowdown air should be a tad cooler .It would make sense in my pea brain that once the blowdown air captured some heat it would flow better .Remember the whole concept on two cycles is differentials of pressures .I might be totally wrong in my evaluation but that's the way I see it .

Your on the right track Al, I did a little searching and this is basically a stratifed engine in nutshell. Magnus mentioned this some time ago that this strafied tech is nothing new has been around for a long time , mostly in the auto industry

.www.scribd.com/doc/35928497/ or just use Goggle or whatever you have to do a search on stratified engines. They all say about the same thing.

After reading up on this a little, the concept doesn't sound all that bad but how it makes a chainsaw work still has me sitting on the fence. The new 261 are suppose to have these engines in them and that saw has gotten good reviews and has overcome the problems that has plagued the 026, 260 line .

Al , refresh my memory a little . It has been awhile since I have tinkered with saw engines and the lingo is getting away from me . What is blowdown time? Is it the duration that the transfers are open?

The time measured in degrees from the exhaust port opening until the transfers open .On most stock Stihls that's about 20 degrees of rotation .Keep in mind that whatever that time is will be followed with a the same amount towards the end of the transfer cycle with both ports opened and thusly afterwards will begin the compression portion of the cycle .At that time when both ports are epened is when the cylinder is purged of the remaining exhaust gas laden residual gasses .

While it might sound that with both ports opened you might blow exhaust backwards through the transfers one thing to remember .This is done on the tail end of the exhaust with the pressure decreasing and thusly on a pressure rise from the transfer with the piston which acts like a pump increasing cranckcase pressure .

I have to do this in several posts because the freakin thing times out on me .

Any how in the case of most conventional porting this purging of the cylinder is done with fuel laden mixture via the crancase .In the case of these 441/201 etc it's done with the air via the second of set of intake ports sans going through the carb .Instead of basically blowing fuel out the cylinder for that portion it's just air and doesn't waste any fuel .

Probabley the reason it seems these types of engines feel they have more grunt at lower speeds is most likely due to having a more exhaust gas free cylinder .Likewise on the conventional ported engine it's most likely more fuel in the mixture leading to more grunt at full throttle .

You could compair this to valve overlap in a 4 cycle engine done by the camshaft .Of course on a 2 cycle you have ports instead of valves but the idea is about the same .

However then you have port fuel injection as compaired to a carbuerated engine .On the fuel injected you can control when the fuel is injected and cause the incoming charge of pure air to do the purging rather than on a carb it all picks up fuel .That's another subject all together though :)

Ha,I know what I'm trying to say but sometimes wonder if I've stated it in such a matter that it is clear ,Sometimes I fear it's about as clear as mud .

Well when it comes to forums and posting with time outs I think I might have a touch of

A-D-D .I can't remember more than three words of direction at a time .I'd either have to print it out or have ir tatooed to back of my hand .If it has a nut or bolt or something I can figure out anything but when it comes to punchng buttons I'm in the lost lane .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I tried getting a 200T for the shelf. Picked it up this morning and it's a 201, no more 200's. I bought it anyways.

It feels nice, a little longer of a body. Haven't cut with it yet. Here's both, loaded and ready to cut. Same chain, bar, oil, gas, etc. The 200 has some sawdust in it, so it's shed a hair more weight if I cleaned it.

The caps are nice, and the different sized nut on the cover is no big deal as it's the same size that's already on the Stihl Scrench. It does seem like less chain speed, more torque,

Attachments

• DSC00317.jpg
    DSC00317.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC00316.jpg
    DSC00316.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 6
I saw a couple of rand new ones they had at the dealer for the county climber, Andy J. I guess he gets to try them out and let the shop know how they do. Curious to hear how it performs Brendon.

Back