ms 460 bearing question

brendonv

Tree Hugger
A respiratory nurse friend of my moms, picked up an amazing condition MS460 with 3/4 wrap handle bar from a patient for $100. They brought it to me to see what was wrong with it in the clutch/sprocket department. I am trying to buy it from him but that's another story.

I took the side cover off in this order. E-clip, washer, sprocket. I noticed a bunch of missing and broken needle bearings sitting between the "pto", and clutch cover. Got the clutch cover off and they all fell out, nothing left. I used to have the MS460 parts diagram, but my old PC bit the dust.

Can someone send me the parts diagram, I'll need whatever that part is (clutch drum bearing?) , and the e-clip.

bvorio@yahoo.com

thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you Fred!

Any chance you have the 200t, 361, or 660 IPL?

If the snow hasn't fallen yet of course.:) I'm not sure if I'll be able to retrieve everything on my old PC unfortunately.

That's what it was Al, just couldn't get the word for it.

He's entertaining the idea of selling it to me, so it seems. It's a nice saw, 3/4 wrap, big dog and side cover kit (saw came from Tacoma? WA), 25" bar, clean homeowner use firewood saw. Not sure why that bearing would bite the dust though.

I've only ever seen a bearing disintegrate from excessive heat or the bar getting terribly wracked that it twisted the whole saw up. Neither of which seems much like a firewood saw scenario. Maybe a factory defect.

It stumped me, really. There was nothing left of the cage and only half the needle bearings there.

I'm going to rob the wrap handle off it and try it out this week. I really want one for my 361.

Oh it just happens sometimes . Toms idiots ran one without the bearing ,washer or e-clip .I have no idea why it didn't break the crankshaft but it did break two out of three clutch shoes .Stranger yet why it didn't throw the rim .

I like to, but I don't like taking off a clutch to do it. Husky sure has a leg up on Stihl in that department. The grease seems to disappear real quick, can't help wondering if it is necessary.

The problem with lubing any bearing which does not have a seal is the fact the grease or oil will attract bits of dust or wood fibers which actually makes it worse .It's one of those subjects often debated as weather to lube or not to lube .Same with the bar nose roller .I don't myself but that's just a personal preference .

I've taken them out that were greased prior and they were so plugged up the needles wouldn't turn at all .

I never see much dirt getting down into the bearing. Not much contamination other than turning black. Maybe fairly regular cleaning helps that out?

I figure the heat dissipates the grease pretty quick. I never can find a high temp grease, if such exists.

If Stihl wants you to grease the bearing, why the heck don't they do like Husky and put a hole in the end of the shaft with an outlet under the bearing. Being arrogant?

The things had chit packed in the needles about the consistancy of candle wax .I could tell it was a mixture of grease and grit . I'm not preaching don't lube but how many of us pull the bearings occasionally to check them out .I'll bet very few .

Oh Jay... One more thought. Stihl or Husky dealer will have tubes of it but pricey. They use it in the heads of weed eaters and brush cutters. Just ask them for the gear head grease if you can't find the high temp at an auto parts store. But like I said... be ready to part with some $$. Auto parts much cheaper....

The only time I do it with Stihl, is when having the clutch off for another reason.

Maybe I could just ask for a dollop of grease when at the Stihl dealer, they must have a big can of it for their own use. If I say it is for my hair, they will feel sorry for me and give me some. Not because I an hot headed.

Saw shop told me that's a common failure on 460s. Or at least around here anyway. Lack of lube would be my inclination. Just had them replaced on my 460 and 660. Both were worn similarly.

My 066 was why I started greasing and replacing them more often. Did not seem like it had been that long, then it was sounding kind of weird spooling up. I went to put a new drive ring on it and pulled the clutch drum... whoa... bearings everywhere. Well that splains it :lol:

Now this might sound silly but bare with me .We usually pack say a wheel bearing just full of grease .However when they pack a precision bearing for a high speed machine spindle they blow every bit of grease out .

This is how it was explained to me .Whatever amount the balls or rollers will hold on their surface area is all they will ever hold once they roll around in the race .If they are not a sealed bearing once at high speeds they blow the grease out anyway except the surface area .

Brendon, if that saw came from the PNW with a 3/4 wrap handle then it also has the high output oiler on it. Around here nobody has the 3/4 wrap model and all the Stihl owners constantly burn up their bars from lack of oil because the oiler is so stingy. Definitely buy that saw if you can.

Def. a PNW saw, has the shop tag on the top.

He won't give it away, he knows what they are new. Might be able to get it for half of retail, it'd still be a good deal me thinks, and he'd make a nice turn over.

Back