More end weight reduction?

Treeaddict

Treehouser
Nearly certain this is an elm. Maybe ulmus Americana? I haven’t dealt with many elms.

Anyway, I did some end weight reduction cuts from the ground taking various tips off.

The question: would you take more off? All unions look intact and healthy. I don’t want split out. Cabling is an option but why do it if not needed. The tree is partially sheltered from wind. I think it would be ok as is but I’m not as experienced as many of you fine folks so I’d love your input.

Attachments

• IMG_6637.jpeg
    IMG_6637.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6636.jpeg
    IMG_6636.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 9
Yes, shorten and lighten those overextended limbs. Not sure where you're at, but here in Florida, elms are prone to summer limb drop. They also have a tendency to form tight v-crotches with included bark.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the advice guys. I’ll get up in the tree and make further reduction cuts. Kinda happy I get to climb it now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, shorten and lighten those overextended limbs. Not sure where you're at, but here in Florida, elms are prone to summer limb drop. They also have a tendency to form tight v-crotches with included bark.
I haven’t noticed any included bark from the ground. That could change when viewed aloft.

I appreciate your input on the SLD. Im in Maryland. Our summers are hot and humid like Florida but that have the potential to be drier than you (based solely on my 6 years in the Tampa/St Pete area and rain that you could set your watch by. It is, however, a large state)

Back