Modded Stihl 201T v Husqvarna 540xp

Btw, I recognize your saw, or at least the type of bar on it, from your vids. Has the saw always been a POS and you were able to put up with it till now, or was it decent in the past and now shit the bed?

I've been saying this same thing since I had one of the first available 201s.

I run one against a freshly rebuilt 200 and there is no comparison.

Did that with a 14 foot pine section last week...not on purpose 60 dollar mistake and one ground guy short! :/:

Nice video Reg, had a great laugh but on a serious note what to sell that bar, I've been looking for a sugi hara for my 200 for a while. Let me know

Cheers
Ben

I must be the only one that thinks it's a waste of a chainsaw... You must be killing it contract climbing I guess

JP:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wish they would put a bullet nose on the back end of the saw to avoid snags.
Is the fuel and body all one molded piece or is fuel tank seperate?

Reg, personally I think you missed the mark and you should have rolled over both of them and see which one would start and cut.
I will give the husq a try but if its a unibody I dunno?

The 540 is a different class Tom, it just sinks in to the wood. The stock version right out of the box hands down beats my modded 201. And the extra saddle attachment is just really nice to hook it one handed....so you dont need a bullet shape because it hangs really tight against your saddle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Btw, I recognize your saw, or at least the type of bar on it, from your vids. Has the saw always been a POS and you were able to put up with it till now, or was it decent in the past and now shit the bed?
I had that 201 modded within a month or so of owning it, which did make a big improvement....but it was still s hit compared to a 200, or now the 540. Im not purposely trying to undermine anyone with the video but its just plain wrong for Stihl reps and dealers to misleading people into thinking that the 201 is the equal of the 200....because its so not the truth. The 201 makes a fine pruning saw but for heavy tops, limbs and dense logs its woefully inadequate. I coulda probably sold my saw for a couple hundred, yeah, but I thought smashing it be a more appropriate way to end 2 years of frustration and handicap. No offense to loyal Stihl customers, they make awesome products as standard, but clearly dropped the ball here.

There are MS201's prototypes out there at the moment being tested with the new M-Tonic fuel/ignition management technology similar to the T540XP's AutoTune.
So we should see good improvement in the 201's performance from what it is at the moment.
Husqvarna got it right the first time with the AutoTune technology but they paid the price with the long awaited introduction period as we all know about the 540.
Remember years back when we had the long awaited introduction mystery of the 201?
Stihl at the time had major problems with their prototype test models being dissected and posted on different websites with pics right down to teardowns of the crankshaft, when it was supposed to be all top secret. Some of the 201 test models were even stolen. This exposure hurt the development of the 201 and helped change the playing field for Husky.

First day with the new 540, and yes, it is indeed very fast, put it up against my 201 and it is a smidge quicker, as for durability, time will tell.

Eager to hear how the 540 holds up over time. I swore off small Husky climbing saws after the 335s drove me insane a few years back.

I've got three 335's in the shed that attempted to be of service for two different tree services but failed miserabley .The oilers weren't worth two shakes of a lambs tail .The fix for parts is inexpense but the shop labor would equal a third of the price of the saw new .You literally have to field strip that little thing right down to the bones to work on the oiler .

Oh I'll get them all going one of these days but they are way down on the to do list .

Oh I'll get them all going one of these days but they are way down on the to do list .

Ha, I bet they are. I sold my relatively low-hours 335s for $25 each, happy to be rid of them. It would have been far better to do a Reg style end to them;)

I think Stihl should send the newer version for you to test :lol: If it isn't up to par you can just mod it like the one in the video. Well glad I didn't get one yet been using 192 's. T-540 for me soon it shall be! Thanks for making the decision so easy Reg :)

The ones sold here so far has not been fun. The talk of corrections and fixes are tiersome...

Time will tell I guess...

FWIW 'Two shakes of a lambs's tail' is used when referring to a short period of time.

In your context Al, you would have been more concise with ' the oiler's weren't worth $h1t...'

Great video, love your expression, classic limey 'I've had enough'. 8)

Back