milling thread

Oh God! People are dumb!
My brother gave me a chunk of wood with a hole in to as a plant stand and said he paid good money for it. I just shook my head. Really, you are going to give a chunk of wood to a tree guy. I love my brother but dude come on.

You should see the price people pay for shitty 12" rounds online to use as the base for center pieces on wedding reception tables. It's insane. I cut 25 14" sugar maple rounds for my wife's friends wedding and the bride was ready to leave the groom for me because of how much I saved them. I want to say I saved them many hundreds. What they were about to buy were just 12-14" discs. No sanding, no finish.

gotta link to such centerpieces, Chris? I went to shitty12"rounds.com, but it was a filthy, filthy site. Don't look.

I'm always having an ambition to make arty functional things out of things that go into the chipper or firewood pile.

You guys gonna love this...
New trend for the kiddos....
Natural wooden blocks... I guess they pay big bucks at the kiddo stores for them in the cities :lol:
5f26f91bb9041caed71b29498677f7c0.jpg

Sure it is ridiculous, but it is all about where one lives.
I live next to a forest, so to me it is dumb to pay for wood.
If you lived near the Anaconda mine, you'd probably find it dumb to pay for copper.

On that note, they sell Finnish logs for $20 in the stores here. Wrapped in plastic and ready to burn.

I am thinking long and hard about a niche with wood for my old age. The lady with the Lucas mill almost exclusively does crotch wood blanks for turners. A 8'×6'+x 2 1/2" natural edge table of it will live in my dinning room after three years setting.
I get better money for "chimney logs" hollow chunks.;)

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trèès pŕoduce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care.

I sell small blocks of burl and crotchwood, fiddleback maple etc to knife makers.
Just sold about 2 pds worth for 50$ this evening.

Well. Started slabbing some stuff and got some ideas going for benches,shelves
065b6426edcf6f6c590f3476ed938b6c.jpg
...etc.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423440040521.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423440040521.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 50
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423440077236.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423440077236.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 50
I'm reading up on joinery...like bow ties and dove tails.
I bought a drill and some sanding discs for the grinder...til i can get a belt sander. Money's a little tight.

Need to find some chisels and what not to get that intricate joinery. Youtubing the heck out of it.
I'll post some pics when I make something finally.

This was a little run too in preparation for the pine log in the park, didn't want my saw konking out.

The log is 15' long by 20". That's probably a little long what's the best size slab?
Probably should cut it in half or 12' before I mill it?

Anyway...it's fun to be goofing around with this stuff.

Cool Jay, Even if it cracks. I'm just goofing.

The redwood looks really good after just a little sanding.
I'm sure drying for real is a whole nother elephant.

Cut a bunch of cedar for all my exterior window trim, then ran it through the planer.
95ece3fb4de986a105c0871a627927d9.jpg

Re did bathroom interior as well.
95dd909cd784f1d8c56d0b2d79e2039c.jpg

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trèès pŕoduce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care.

Is there anyone else that cut free hand?
Shorter lengths I think is easier to cut free hand.

For turning use, I mostly cut it freehand, since it doesn't matter if it not precise.
I'd hate to run free hand cut boards through a planer, though.

Yea I'm sure I won't be doing so again;)

Back