Mat Stock , new to me

Altissimus

TreeHouser
Getting rid of low quality logs is a big part of Logging in New England , sold Pallet ,and Tie Stook in the past. Local mill makes heavy equipment mats so they buy. I find it kinda easy compared the high value material (which we've already done on this project). Spec is any hardwood ( NO Poplar) with a minimum diameter 10" only length is 16'6" zero clear faces and they will buy with heart rot. Only $440 a Thou but it does add up and seems to go quickly. Some shiitty wood still worth selling. Whole thing is new to me , mat stock ... anyone else ?

Been around mats a ton, they're awesome. Hugely important on pipeline jobs and other dirt work applications, they build entire roads from them sometimes so construction can proceed through ground that can't support a machine. You ever see the videos or pictures of where an excavator is lost in mud? Notice they almost never have a mat in the picture. They also use a ton of skids on some jobs, but those are minimized anymore by cone stands being so prevalent. Skids are about the handiest thing to have around tho, so many uses for such a simple tool.

Ain't no quicker way to get heavy iron stuck, or unstuck than track mats.

Built a road or two of them. Hope I don't have to again. It's not easy work without an excavator, on sight, to drag them into place.

Touching on some core memories there.

My cousin and I dropped, squared and hauled, and placed, 2 miles of track mats, one summer. Did the whole job by hand, just the two of us. Good times. Wore out a Chevy half ton on that job. Just over worked it. Broke everything that could break, including pulling the frame apart. My old Ford pulled us out of the bite, never noticed what it was asking.

Anywho, if you've already got the timber, or you've got it to fall, track mats are basically money for nothing. The question is; Is the wood better valued as firewood, or mats?

I hope no-one will object if I beg Kyle for a short de-rail on cone stands. (Realize this g takes us away from logging) I have never run into them. Looked up and found this.

My inquiring mind wants know more. Pros and cons of cones vs. timber skids? Are either intended to be permanent, and if not what takes their place? The brochure gives them a six year life.

They both are used to hold the pipe up so it can be worked before placing in the ditch, definitely not permanent. Skids are the traditional way, and they can be adjusted to any height, can cradle the pipe to keep it still, can be used for all sorts of stuff other than pipe, etc. The problem is that it's somewhat time consuming and very labor intensive, and they take up a lot of room and require more trucking to get them all on a job. The cones stack together so you can pile a ton together and simply place them on the ground and they're ready to go, far less skill needed. You'll always still need some skids for doing stuff that has to be leveled, but now you don't need nearly as many.

Back