March Stormin'

rbtree

Climbing Up
We (Westside Tree Care and Barnett Tree Care) had removed several pine above this spruce, that also were weak rooted. This changed the water runoff patterns, and had caused some minor flooding. Anyhow, before yesterday's storm, Pat was called out to look at the tree, which exhibited some minor looking fracturing of the soil around the surface roots. He asked me to also look. I knew a windstorm was predicted so I waited till it had hit to look, as Pat had thought the problem minor and the tree saveable. Not so. It was clear to me the tree had to be removed if it didn't fall first. I considering hanging around, but only had my phone with the better camera being broken. After discussing the tree, I got in my truck and watched it blow around, then left. As I drove around the complex, the next view I saw, it appeared it was still standing. Then, as I turned onto NE 145th St and looked again, I saw that it had failed. Not 30 seconds later, the client called me. Wish I gotten it on camera.....!!

Watch in HD on Youtube, you bitches....

https://youtu.be/bACBp96KgKU

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bACBp96KgKU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• IMGL9935.jpg
    IMGL9935.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nope, as the video title states....

Looked pretty flat to me.

He left his tie-in in the tree.

Coulda taken off the spurs.

If I have a backpack blower on, I only have one strap on so that I can ditch it if I lose my balance, rather than be taken over by it. Its like crossing a log over a stream with a backpacking backpack . Be ready to ditch the pack.

Ohhh...Burnham will smack you for wearing your spurs and walking around!
Def would have been tied in for that roof blowing.

You guys have hutzpah...I would have had to think REAL hard about being attached to that tree cutting bits off it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ohhh...Burnham will smack you for wearing your spurs and walking around!
Def would have been tied in for that roof blowing.

You guys have hutzpah...I would have had to think REAL hard about being attached to that tree cutting bits off it!

Good points. I was on the roof a bunch, but due to the low angle, felt comfortable.... gaffs being on neither hindered me or poked the roof. Dunno why I didnt take them off, though. Due to the low angle, we didn't bother with finding a tie in point..... there was nothing close.

There was no other way to do the tree. Pat wanted to get as high as possible and delimb the top as much as possible to reduce shock loading. He had his lifeline choked below his feet as a bit of an extra margin of 'safety". And I ran the top as best possible.

Yeah, depends how far over it had gone, being sure there was no chance it would stand up again when weight was cut out of the top. Seen too many windblows pop up one the top was cut. One guy got tossed 30' and spent a week in hospital.
You obviously did your risk assessment, good on you for getting it done under the circumstances!

If I have a backpack blower on, I only have one strap on so that I can ditch it if I lose my balance, rather than be taken over by it. Its like crossing a log over a stream with a backpacking backpack . Be ready to ditch the pack.

ABSOLUTELY... fall with both straps on and you're more likely to land head first cause you're so top heavy, which is near certain death from a broken neck..

Back