Mac 10-10 Automatic

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
Can anyone tell me about this saw? What is the Stihl equavilent? Someone gave it to me... he couldn't crank it and neither could I. I'll get it to my sawguy and have him look at it. It's a heavy sucker! 16 lbs! It doesn't have a chainbrake, so I guess it kinda old. I guess it's not as good as the Pro models, right?

Most of the older ones didn't have chain brakes. It's an old firewood cutter ,enough power but not blessed with a lot of speed.If it's got spark more times than not being that old the carb needs rebuilt.If it doesn't have spark it probabley needs the flywheel pulled and the points cleaned up .The later models had pointless ignitions .

For a treeman it might be a back up in a pinch saw but never a front runner to use on the job .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lordy, I wouldn't wanna pack it up a tree.

I wish I knew how old it was... the paint job is holding up alright.

Can it pull a 20" bar?

The Mac 10 series was long lived, but all of them were cheap saws. But even so, back in the day Mac's Pro'line, like the 125 and Super Pro series could stand up.

I have a couple 10-series saws. 2-10 was pretty popular here.
Here it was semi pro users and farmers bought it mostly.
3-10, 6-10, 10-10 was available with electric start. I think all was available as gear drives too..

In comparison to others on the market at the time it was not so bad.
A 54cc saw in early 70's. 7kg without bar/chain..
Stihl 08 and S10 was competition and that was a kilo more and bulkier (031 was smaller and 040/041 was bigger in cc).
Husqvarna, Jonsered Partner and companion at the time was at same weight 10cc more and lots more power.

A friend and I borrowed a MAC 10 full-auto several decades ago. Took it out to the range with a BIG box of .45ACP. It sure was good for tearing things up down range but didn't have the penetration needed to cut trees.:)

Well you have to remember when it was made .This saw and the Homelite xl-12 were competition for firewood cutters in a transition period from the previous 80 odd cc reed engines doing the same type of work . They were never intended to be a pro model saw .McCulloch must have made millions of them world wide .

10-10s have cut a lot of firewood and pulp here. Hot restarts suck tho.

Back