Luner landing a hoax?

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 57
  • Views 6K
F

Frans

I know, I know, this has been thrashed around before, but I always wondered about something...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/07/17/moon.landing.hoax/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

In the picture I posted, it shows an American flag. Does anyone know if any of the stuff left behind by the trip is visible with earth based telescopes?
Is the flag still up there? Seems to me that if I had placed my countries flag on the moon I sure as hell would leave it up there just to remind the other countries who kicked their asses in the space flight competition...

Attachments

• art.aldrin.nasa.jpg
    art.aldrin.nasa.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 94
Mythbusters did a show on this. They left refraction mirrors that we can bounce lasers off of to measure the orbit of the moon that still are active, and locations known. They bounced off a dead spot, nothing, they hit one of the mirror sites and it spiked.

NASA just released images from the new lunar orbiter showing some of the left over stuff on the moon's surface.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
NASA just released images from the new lunar orbiter showing some of the left over stuff on the moon's surface.

I tried to find that. Can you give any specifics? A link or something like that?

Mebe they shot some trash up there to dispute the conspiracy theorists...

Would be quite a trick indeed to shield people from the sun's radiation without the help of the Earth's magnetosphere, specially riding in a tin can.

Sorry, the headlines for it were on my Google News page a couple days ago, but now it's disappeared.

Frans, there are reasons why earth based telescopes can't pick up the objects on the moon. It isn't just about sufficient resolution, the optics would be capable of picking those things up, if it were not for what they call "astronomical seeing", that is turbulence in the earth's atmosphere.

The Hubble space telescope doesn't have sufficient resolution.

The astronauts did experience radiation exposure, and many have developed cataracts, as an indication of this.

thats what I was thinking. Like pee bags or bits of tin foil or something

More was left behind besides that. :drink:

a15rover_lg.gif

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That jeep looks like something from Mad Max

But GM is proud to display that car, as they had contributed. I read that during the second lunar mission that used the car, the rear fender fell off. The astronauts made something up that would suffice, apparently.

just to remind the other countries who kicked their asses in the space flight competition...

They've just been talking about the moon landings on the radio here; many non-Americans who helped make it all possible thought it was supposed to be an international mission...:roll:

Besides, I think you'll find the USSR were first on almost every other milestone til then, plus a few afterwards. In fact...from Wikipedia

"The Soviet space program pioneered many aspects of space exploration:

* 1957: First intercontinental ballistic missile, the R-7 Semyorka
* 1957: First satellite, Sputnik 1
* 1957: First animal to enter Earth orbit, the dog Laika on Sputnik 2
* 1959: First firing of a rocket in Earth orbit, first man-made object to escape Earth's orbit, Luna 1
* 1959: First data communications, or telemetry, to and from outer space, Luna 1.
* 1959: First man-made object to pass near the Moon, first man-made object in Solar orbit, Luna 1
* 1959: First probe to impact the Moon, Luna 2
* 1959: First images of the moon's far side, Luna 3
* 1960: First animals to safely return from Earth orbit, the dogs Belka and Strelka on Sputnik 5.
* 1960: First probe launched to Mars, Marsnik 1
* 1961: First probe launched to Venus, Venera 1
* 1961: First person in space (International definition) and in Earth orbit, Yuri Gagarin on Vostok 1, Vostok programme
* 1961: First person to spend over a day in space Gherman Titov, Vostok 2 (also first person to sleep in space).
* 1962: First dual manned spaceflight and approach, Vostok 3 and Vostok 4
* 1963: First woman in space, Valentina Tereshkova, Vostok 6
* 1964: First multi-man crew (3), Voskhod 1
* 1965: First EVA, by Aleksei Leonov, Voskhod 2
* 1965: First probe to hit another planet (Venus), Venera 3
* 1966: First probe to make a soft landing on and transmit from the surface of the moon, Luna 9
* 1966: First probe in lunar orbit, Luna 10
* 1967: First unmanned rendezvous and docking, Cosmos 186/Cosmos 188. (Until 2006, this had remained the only major space achievement that the US had not duplicated.)
* 1969: First docking between two manned craft in Earth orbit and exchange of crews, Soyuz 4 and Soyuz 5
* 1970: First samples automatically returned to Earth from another body, Luna 16
* 1970: First robotic space rover, Lunokhod 1
* 1970: First data received from the surface of another planet (Venus), Venera 7
* 1971: First space station, Salyut 1
* 1971: First probe to orbit another planet (Mars), first probe to reach surface of Mars, Mars 2
* 1975: First probe to orbit Venus, first photos from surface of Venus, Venera 9
* 1984: First woman to walk in space, Svetlana Savitskaya (Salyut 7 space station)
* 1986: First crew to visit two separate space stations (Mir and Salyut 7)
* 1986: First permanently manned space station, Mir, which orbited the Earth from 1986 until 2001
* 1987: First crew to spend over one year in space, Vladimir Titov and Musa Manarov on board of TM-4 - Mir"

I worked for a guy here in San Jose who helped build the moon rover. Really nice guy.

He showed us some original photos from some tests here in the Bay Area.

It looked like they were on the moon but they weren't, some set somewhere.

A guy on the crew jokingly said it was a hoax and the guy got all red...thought he was gonna beat him.

Pretty funny but he didn't think so.

They've just been talking about the moon landings on the radio here; many non-Americans who helped make it all possible thought it was supposed to be an international mission...:roll:

Besides, I think you'll find the USSR were first on almost every other milestone til then, plus a few afterwards.

The Russians did a lot of things but the USA landed on the Moon and with the help of the Parkes Radio Telescope we got to watch it. :)http://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/ better one http://www.csiro.au/science/Apollo-11-and-Parkes-telescope.html

r187007_697715.jpg

Last edited:
Astronaut Buzz Aldrin doesn't like moon landing conspiracy theorists:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KaUqaVj51w4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KaUqaVj51w4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Way to go Buzz!

As for all those Russian records... meh, we looked better while we were doing it.

...and nobody touches Neil Armstrong when it comes to having big stones and a cool head.

Back