Looks a whole lot different from up here!

Page

TreeHouser
So I'm taking down this monster of an elm tree tomorrow. continuing to take down I should say. I put one day in on it already. totally blew it on the estimate. had a simple plan looking at it from the ground but found that it all changed once I got up into the tree. it's got a hundred foot spread at least, and for sure a little taller. I've roped out some of the biggest pieces I've ever done outside of crane work.(which this should have been) I like a good challenge but not when I'm making half as much as my crew! I think one of the mistakes that I hadn't even considered when starting this job was that it was 100 degrees out and crazy humid. it was pretty killer, one of my guys got heatstroke. we were just not thinking straight and shoulda called it a day much earlier. I hope tomorrow goes better. I'll get some pics tomorrow if I have time

Last edited:
Good luck man! I did three Oaks today that I bid in March. I feel your pain 93 degrees and 90% humidity. Sometimes you have to take the hit and roll on.

Working in the heat cannot be taken lightly. Healthy mofos drop dead every day. You HAVE to know when it's time for YOUR break, and you can't go very far past that limit lest you make it harder to recover.

Cool Vest, my friends: I'd love to buy stock in this company. The World ain't gonna be cooler anytime soon, I tellyawut!

We've all done it regarding a bad bid. Just gotta eat it and make it up on the next. It does suck, but its the difference between a pro and a hack. Hacks bail out. Not saying you intended too. Just praising you for doing what a lot of guys don't.

Never a truer word was said...'Looks a whole lot different from up here'

I had one early in my self employment...a big spreading ficus full of deadwood months after a storm (salt burn) bugger made ME pay...

Missed bid sucks. Espescially on a tough tree. Nothing like making big cuts/risk for a fraction of what it's actually worth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got the tree finished today, lot of big wood to cut but thank god it all stays there. maybe when the customer shits his pants looking at all the wood he decided to keep I can make some money back hauling it away!:lol:

Got the tree finished today, lot of big wood to cut but thank god it all stays there. maybe when the customer shits his pants looking at all the wood he decided to keep I can make some money back hauling it away!:lol:

Yes I love when customers tell me to put it by the curb or cut and leave. By doing just that they get to see how much tree is really there. Last customer I put it by the curb it was about 6' high all the way across the front lawn :D. He had the nerve to ask me if I was going to call the Parish/County for curbside pick up. Lol! Anyway I hope your customer calls you so you can make up some of your loss. I have a serious problem under bidding jobs. I keep saying I am going to make a checklist and go through it everytime but haven't.

My key to success..........bid to make what you need for your week in 3 days. That's a simplified version of my formula. Lol.

I've paid to work before to do some really nasty ones even. It sucks.

My key to success..........bid to make what you need for your week in 3 days. That's a simplified version of my formula. Lol.

I've paid to work before to do some really nasty ones even. It sucks.

That makes sense. What doesn't kill us can make us stronger and most importantly help us become wiser.

That's about how I roll, too.

As far as wiser is concerned, I have learned to put a firm price in on jobs and not let myself be talked down by any more than 5%. Most people respect a man who sticks to his guns, and I think dropping any more than 5% reveals to the customer that you started out high to begin with. 5% is fair to just about anyone.

But, I have certainly taken some lumps in the past on jobs, mostly pruning, as sometimes it is tough to foresee the difficulties...or the damn throwline...you get the drift. Removals I seem to do pretty well on, knock on wood, I haven't taken any hits for them in the past. I've usually got enough of a buffer on the removal gig, and if a client tries to talk me too far down...well I ain't afraid to walk.

Pound for pound, takedowns yield the most profit. People just don't want to spend money on trims, or at least that's way it's become around here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yeah I lucked out money wise somehow. not much of a profit but more than breaking even. I had to call the fellow that taught me tree work to come buck up wood with his o90 that had a 6 foot bar on it. tip of the bar was barely sticking out the other side of the log. and when he flush cut the stump he had to walk the engine around the thing in order to get through the flare. of course he wouldn't take any money from me, but I owe him big. it's good to have friends with equipment!

Back