Looking to hire climber/ groundman combo. Olympia, WA

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
If you all know of someone looking for some work in Olympia, I'm going to be replacing an employee soon, and am starting to get a bit backed up on work. Josh is moving on to a WWOOF thing.

I need someone to share in the joint climbing/ rigging/ groundworkings responsibility on residential jobs with my Manager, Erik. Shop maintenence of tools/ rigs/ equipment. Driving a company truck and trailer. Etc, Etc.

I am still working weekends, only as needed for more advanced climbing/ rigging jobs.

We do proper pruning, mostly SRT presently, removals, and occasional crane job, etc.

Valid Driver's License, with a clean record.

ISA-CA preferred.

They can contact me at sean@southsoundtree.com.

Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Amy's friend, who filled the groundie portion, is moving back to Oklahoma to finish school instead of staying on the west coast, so I'm still looking.

Erik is doing pretty well on climbing pruning, but isn't ready to do big climbing removals yet, so I need a tight quarters tree killer a bit more than an all around killer/ tree care combo, though I'd prefer the whole package.

I would love to come out and see what kind of trees you guys deal with. Unfortunately that whole life thing is kind of in the way. I wish I would have traveled a little bit before settling down. I would love to climb some of those monsters you guys have out west.

I have a hard enough time finding a comptent groundy let alone a climber. I have been working with this kid for almost a year and and you would think he could remember how to tie a bowline, nope, and yes I have showed him time and time again.

I have a hard enough time finding a comptent groundy let alone a climber. I have been working with this kid for almost a year and and you would think he could remember how to tie a bowline, nope, and yes I have showed him time and time again.

Cut him loose :drink:

Tree climbers' companion has a good skills checklist in the back.

I start my newbie groundies at $10-12/ hour with training, and a checklist of what they need to learn to get a raise, along with resources like Animated Knots by Grog.com and Sherrilltree's Learning Center. They should have certain knots down in a couple weeks, tops, IMO. Otherwise, they can go flip burgers or be unemployed.

If I wanted a job as a typist, and I couldn't type, I'd expect to practice on my own time, though I give paid training time for practicing knots and watching chainsaw safety and maintenance videos.

Rajan, you're rewarding his incompetence. Give him two weeks to have a few knots dialed or its his two week notice. He'll learn 'em, or he isn't worth keeping. High unemployment rate gives lots of employee candidates.

Is he a Smokey Joe?

Tell me, I'll forget. Show me, and I might remember. Involve me, and I'll understand.

Make it affect his wallet, and he'll be motivated. Have a training/ probation period, with feedback, evaluation, and positive/ negative consequences.

We train side-by-side, both people with rope in hand, exact same movements, step by step, let them get it dialed, then do it for 5 more minutes-- muscle memory. Next work day, warm-up and work the muscle memory for a few minutes, then add a new exercise.

I think he needs to enjoy another job....

I've told ya'll already, I offer 20 bucks to any groundie that learns how to tie a bowline. So far, I have all my Jacksons...

Awhile back I invested in lots of web slings , nonlocks , and rigging plate ... just so I can girth hitch a lot of tree sent down, ground can do this work with no real knot skills ...

You guys are just reinforcing what G.B. Beranek said in his fine book some time ago, that there is a large turnover in the tree work industry.

Maybe I have to much hope for people. A bowline is right there with a sheet bend for sending lines up, and a running bow for anchoring a rope puller etc .

If I can't expect them to learn those, can I expect them too safely operate a dangerous and expensive truck or chainsaw ?

I babied a guy along like that for years, the first time you hire a truly good worker, you will never have a yahoo on your job site again, such a waste of time

I babied a guy along like that for years, the first time you hire a truly good worker, you will never have a yahoo on your job site again, such a waste of time

Erik isn't perfect, but reasonable, trainable, loyal, and honest. Two years ago, his previous boss in OH gave his reference as " you would be silly not to hire him." He never saw a POW or block, knew about spurless climbing or Srt, or used labor saving machines much, but has been my best hire to date. I am trying to get him to prep and test for a CA, now, on my dime. In time, in time.

He likes pruning, but isn't up to climbing removals.

I have a ground man applicant, self- described as 54 years young, planning to live to 100, and can work circles around most young guys. Former logger, doing everything but driving the logs to the mill. Former climber, but doesn't want to climb now.

Says drugs and alcohol are out of the question. Out of work from the metal trades.

Can a young 54 y.o. do ground work for big removals? I would bet so for pruning. I bought a capstan to choker and skid brush to reduce manual dragging, but still a lot of work. One good size tree here can fill the 12 yard box with 4" and smaller chipping.

Back