Looking for opinions/suggestions about my first mini skid

Piece of plywood between the mini and the debris.

So long as the weight of the mini doesn't screw the tongue weight and trailering characteristics, you have to deal with an additional unchain-unload-reload-chain down. I don't know the legal requirements for chaining my type of machine. I use two transport chains and two binders on an open trailer. I might cheat with one 10k ratchet strap within a 4' wall trailer with wood sides. I have 4 tie down points within my forestry chip box, but it seems very stable in there on its own, with the door pinned closed. It would have to rip the door at the one side or other to exit the box. I don't know how Johnny 5-0 regards a sub-3000# tracked machine.

Carl, were you loading/ unloading while fighting a cross-slope, or have a ramp sink?

That may have happened some time, but for 4 years I loaded all my debris driving up ramps and into the trailers. I've probably been up and down ramps on a mini more than any two people combined. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great info from you guys, thanks! Carl, you dissin' my chipper? By god that is a fine specimen of a chipper! :) No seriously, after hanging out with my neighbor/welder, I don't think I will be fabbing anything on my chipper. I think I will be fabbing up something to stand on, and a way to load it in my chip truck, get a bmg, and get my ass to work. Sean, that chip box is steel, and it is heavy. I wanted it built that way so that I could load logs into it:
1800430_10152459208439844_8219601258232187971_n.jpg

It has worked great so far, but now that I have a mini, I wish I had an aluminum one like Brendons :)

No dissing, only admiring it's vintage qualities!

I suggest making the platform hinge upward some amount to improve your departure angle. I would consider making a stop so it can't over rotate upwards and watch out for pinch points!

It is vintage, and has lot's of quirks, like me! I will be fabbing a platform for it soon. Thanks for your input.

There's a thread here somewhere in which I fabbed up a platform to stand on and fold up out of the way.
Discountramps has an eBay page and the prices are better there than on the web site fwiw

Started building a platform today...all out of my neighbors scrap bin :) I will hopefully finish er up tomorry!

10408026_10153002320389844_4771149711285061180_n.jpg

Still have to finish welding and some trimming and figure out something for a deck.

10898295_10153002320509844_7845244605752429244_n.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1960.jpg
    IMG_1960.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 45
My platform is spring mounted. If you can, engineer some 'give'. A rubber bumper, or something where the pivoting tube meets the stationary part, maybe.

Anything is better than doing it by hand.

Seems part of smooth mini operation can involve a leg out back like a kangeroo tail, when you rock-over things with tracks, maybe less so with wheels.

Now you tell me...I don't know if I have room for that, but I am thinking the channel might have some flex in it...the piece that is crossing the back of the mini.

Maybe flexible materials would be the key. A flexible deck on a stout frame? Back-up the design and think wood.

You will not always be operation it with both feet evenly planted. plan for torque.

Maybe two brackets at the the sides, with 1"-by or 3/4" wood plank decking for flex, and light weight.

Looks like your almost done, though. Probably on the right track. Just consider the torque.

Some people add weight to the rear of their machines. Something to consider, if it is applicable.

Sean, I was planning on wood, so hopefully that will help. Willie, I found your thread Yesterday, and it was helpful...thanks!

I never really had to have give in my platform. My Thomas had a rigid platform... put 1500 hours on it without complaint. I never really cared for the Boxer's spring mounted platform... plus given my size I pretty well keep it bottomed out.

Make the platform strong enough to handle you jumping on either side, IMO.

I liked being able to fold the ramp up in tight quarters. The boxer didn't have a spring when I bought it so I ordered one. It broke after about A year right at the bolt hole. I liked it but most of my guys didn't

Wait, you got a goat slaughtering attachment that will keep the mini busy!! What, through Carl?

Back