log skidding plate

I use a bell shaped one, made out of steel for pulling logs out with horses.
We don't use horses but the ATV.
Works great.

One of the winch manufacturers offers up a bullet shaped nose cone as an option for logs. I think Willie might have mentioned something about it. Oddly, I know someone that bought the cone with his winch, but doesn't use it. Made from indestructible plastic apparently.

I own, and occaisionally use the yellow plastic cone marketed by Portable Winch.
Winching uphill or on level ground is fine, but on downhill grades, I find the cone will frequently slip off the front of the log.
Also, the plastic cone will not fit over logs beyond a certain dia; 24"? so that is another factor that limits it's use.
That steel sled idea looks really good.

Looks like you could use the valve end of a discarded "gas" bottle...acetylene or some such...one of the big feed tanks for a torch. Bandsaw a 18-24 inch section of it maybe?

Sean, here's one out of plastic, like one that is available as an option with the winch that is commonly used.

Attachments

• Logging03.jpg
    Logging03.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 41
Tiny logs, eh?

As I mentioned, we skid them out with an ATV.
Did you expect me to skid oldgrowth Redwoods with that?

We had a couple of guys clear some 30 miles of riding trails for the state forest last winter after the 2 storms, we had.
Bought it for that specific purpose and it worked a treat.

The nylon bullet shaped one is good to temperatures of about 0 F. Below that it will shatter. The bullet is great. Nothing better. You might be able to get by with one of those heavy duty water bottles that they use on the water coolers. I used one of those for the first summer. You'll need to remove the hook from the chain, then feed the chain through the bottle opening, before reattaching the hook. Cheap to replace when you destroy it.

Joel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good idea. I have on that I filled with bad gas out of my car. Don't think it's good for water any more. Didn't throw it out, knowing my inclination for repurposing.

I have one of the plastic ones...have yet to use it though. My buddy was gonna fab me up one like the one you posted. Those plates might work great for yards, and flat ground, but in a woods situation, I would think they would roll. That's the main reason I bought the plastic one...to keep stuff from hanging up.

Back