Leaf blower questions

It'll blow fist size rocks, arm size branches and small children off trails. :D

I've had Stihl BG86 for a while suits me, only use it a few minutes a job.

Today it was raining, waste of time to use it so I just raked the road and left. Just down the street a lawn guy was blowing wet grass with one like yours, clean as a whistle.8)

Another 30 minutes until school came out.:(

Tom does work for a guy who has probabley as much equiptment as Tom does .Every piece of small equipment is Stihl which he has in duplicate and keeps them in A-one shape .

About every 3-4 years he replaces them .So maybe a year or so ago he had both a BR 400 and a BR 420 that Tom bought for 200 a piece and I ended up with the 400 .If I'm not mistaken they where around 600-700 new .So saying that $200 for a 400 in good working order would be a good deal I think .

Attachments

• Sithl blower.jpg
    Sithl blower.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 4
That's what I have. They work good, but not quite what the 600 is. I have a guy I sub for once in a while that has a 600 and it's a little more powerful. I'm guessing 20% or so.

There's a considerable difference between a 400 and a 600 .The 400 is 3.4 HP ,476 CFM at about 180 MPH air blow .The 600 is 4 HP 700 CFM at 201 MPH air blow .CFM's on both are taken with the nozzels attached .

Now I suppose you could soup them up but why you would want to escapes me .Running at 8000 RPMs they are loud enough to wake the dead and I can't imagine what they'd be like at 10,000 .Best to just leave well enough alone on this tool .;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
400 didnt pan out. Sold before I found it.

Found a used 550 with broken handle (dont feel needed for homeowner only use) $200. Owner said well used but still runs good, used in his lawn care business. He is buying new ones this year and this is the last 550 left.

Are these things easy to work on like chainsaws?

OK going to try again to post video. Used br550 for $200. Listen to it at the end and tell me it what you think. I swear I hear rattling.

Let me know what you see and hear because I do not know blowers at all.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZKX4k_z4pQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OK going to try again to post video. Used br550 for $200. Listen to it at the end and tell me it what you think. I swear I hear rattling.

Let me know what you see and hear because I do not know blowers at all.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZKX4k_z4pQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why is that video coming up: "This video is private."?

Sounds like it might have a shock mount going bad .From this end it seems to be some noise as if the fan impeller is rubbing the housing .Now how hard that is to repair I have no idea .

Another thing although I have no idea about a 550 the BR 400s' and 420s' will wind up a lot more than that appeared to be .

Sounds like it might have a shock mount going bad .From this end it seems to be some noise as if the fan impeller is rubbing the housing .Now how hard that is to repair I have no idea .

Another thing although I have no idea about a 550 the BR 400s' and 420s' will wind up a lot more than that appeared to be .

I agree, Al ... sounds like shocks, but sometimes even good shocks will make that noise at low RPM's. If it is the the impeller, I had to replace an impeller once. It's not that hard ... but there's a trick. If you need it, I'll post some details.

I use this one for cutting vegetation in creeks.

I have run it full tilt for 2½ months a year for 8 years.

Had to change the main bearing on the axle to the cutter once, put a new spark plug in and adjust the valves once.

When I say "full tilt" I mean it. That thing runs at max RPM for 8 hrs a day in creek season.

I'm SO frigging impressed with that engine.

Did I mention that I have worn 4 cutter heads out while still running the same engine:)

So, honestly, get off the fence!

stig your link was to a battery powered stihl. I'm guessing you were talking about a 4 mix stihl of some type.

What scares me is I just talked to a guy I know and he had 6 br600 in dead for repairs from a lawn company. most were valve related issues with the 4 mix.

Kawasaki 2 stroke

Anyone have any experience with the Kaw 2 stroke engines?

engine http://www.kawasaki-engines.eu/en/engines/FEB5DDDDF/TK65

backpack http://www.kawpowr.com/pp/detail.aspx?id=33&cat_id=1

Displacement 4.0 cu. in. (64.7cc)
Fuel Tank 67.6 oz. (2.0 Liter)
Max Air Volume (with pipe) 720 cfm
Max Air Volume 800 cfm
Max Air Velocity 200 mph
Carburetor Diaphragm
Plug NGK BPMR7A
Net Weight 20.7 lbs. (9.4kg)
Dimension 12.4" x 18.9" x 17.3" (315 x 480 x 440mm)
Noise Level (At 50 ft per ANSI) 73 dB(A)
Throttle Type Tube Mount

We acquired the new Dolmar handheld blower a bunch of months ago and its pretty good. I think it's called 251.4. Anyway, it's a 4-stroke and uses just regular gas, no mix. It's quieter than the Stihl equivalent, and just as powerful.

We use blowers on most jobs since we are usualy in suburban yards. Enough to clean the lawn and pavements but not blow over all the plastic lawn furniture.

And I agree that saws are fine to listen to but not other screaming 'landscraper's tools".

Enough to clean the lawn and pavements but not blow over all the plastic lawn furniture.
:lol: Well yes they will do that as well as blow all the gravel out of the driveway if you keep at it long enough .They'll blow a wasp nest about 50 feet no problem .It screws the wasps up so bad they don't have a clue what to do .

Back