Large oak: pruning questions

Thanks for all the input guys, the customers seemed very happy as well.

Greg

They should be--nice looking work, and should last 3-5 years. I like the way you cut back to uprights. Reiterations rejuvenate the tree. :)

Nice work! like the canopy clean-up
I would have taken off them 2 lower big branches (left and right of pic) if it were me, getting it away from those structures would be good

Nice work! like the canopy clean-up
I would have taken off them 2 lower big branches (left and right of pic) if it were me, getting it away from those structures would be good

Taking those limbs off would really increase risk to structures. 2 big wounds across from each other--reckon they could hollow out that trunk?

Clearance from structures seems adequate now. There are some places (upper right for instance) where maybe a few 1" cuts would have shortened lever arm, instead of a 2" cut that left a gap in the crown (based on my 2D look at a 3D object). Pole pruner needed for those small cuts. ;)

Nice job! The tree still looks like it should, sweeping branches, yet shortened and lightened because of the infrastructure below, but not too much.

Always good to take a little at a time, it can be surprising how much a branch will rise when even a pretty small bit is taken off.

Back