I've had it! I'm making my Own Climbing Harness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr_V-Tdvceo

Here is a video that I made last week. there is some footage of my homeade harness as well as my original rope wrench being applied. The Harness is no where near as nice as the one featured in this post but I like it. it is almost half a pound lighter than the sequoia. Notice the wrapping hooks that allow me to stow my lanyard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
that is an interesting idea with the hooks, sort of a low tech sidewinder. is that cobra cable for your leg loops?

It's def no sidewinder. The sidewinder and this harness didnt go together well. But it's a long lanyard. pretty easy stow when it's getting in the way. Most of the time i use 5 or six feet only. I dont really find that my normal 5 6 feet gets in the way. its like having an extra 8 feet when needed.the whole harness It's the all gear flat cabling with cobra cable inserts. I found to my surprise that larger leg loops crunch balls. My leg pads have neen getting smaller and smaller as i have experimented. The back pad is heavy styrofoam weight lifting pad. It shares in common with porkbrik the middle loops being the center of the system. I rarely buck in using my side d's. they are almost used more for gear storage.

As far as lightness. I made this harness to be light, packable, and simple. The cost is all in the rings. I am not saying that this is the way to go. I find it as comfy as the sequoia and mor mobile. There is a mobility in this style of construction that I have not felt in any other harness. Matt Cornell introduced it to me. I also find that no weird connecting devices and screws like the sequi is and others is comforting. I know that those rings and that rope is bomber.

Yeah that place is beautiful we have done the trees there every two years, for the last six, next week we have the big ficus in the birdhouse at the Detroit zoo.

Back