Is it safe?

Treeaddict

Treehouser
I’m assuming that it’s not ok and an ansi/ manufacturer’s violation to MRT with a rigging block tied off with a loopie? Assuming it’s not life support rated and could open up and drop you. I assume this because I’ve not seen it done but, boy, talk about a friction saver!

Attachments

• DA5D207E-1FE0-4637-92A8-41961986D98E.jpeg
    DA5D207E-1FE0-4637-92A8-41961986D98E.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
I don’t think it’s inherently unsafe, but there’s lots of better options that cost less and are lighter weight and plenty strong enough.

A friction saver or a 2” rescue pulley would do well. Even a Pinto on a sling would be fine, even if it doesn’t meet that 4:1 bend radius I always hear about. I like Pintos, really strong and well made.

There's nothing unsafe at all about that, unless the rigging gear is used and abused. It's just completely pointless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I use a pinto on my lanyard. Like you said- well made. Use the hitch climber eccentric with a VT on MRT. My friction saver at this point is the Weaver leather old school type. I’d like a double ring retrievable and adjustable saver. Just not in the current budget. I know the block is heavy but has a nice radius!

The main thing is to keep your rigging and life support gear and equipment separate. If you also use that block for rigging, it's best practice not to also use it in your life support system.
Like others have said there are options, smaller, more compact bits of gear to achieve the same outcome.

Retrievable you said ? Think of this baby coming down from 60' or more. Too heavy to help it with a throwline, Deadly if free fall, limb's bark murder too and soon to be wrecked by itself.

Back