I need new shocks...what kind.

NickfromWI

King of Splices
So I got this 2007 Ford Ranger. It rattles like crazy. It doesn't take a genius to know I need new shocks. Beyond that, I don't know what questions to ask to make sure I get taken care of properly.

Brought it to on place and they wanted $99 to lift it up and look underneath and see what they thought needed to be done. Could be shocks OR struts...or both.
Brought it to Pep Boys and the guy sorta pushed down on the front bumper and said, "yeah it's soft. your shocks are done."

What's your recommended next step.

I won't be doing the work myself. It's not up my alley. It's not made of wood or rope.

They both said you can get the Monroe economy or Monroe Sensatrac. When I asked what the difference is the both basically said, "it's nicer."

I hate that. Nicer HOW. I'll pay for nicer things if you can justify it for me. But "nicer?"

That's where I'm at. Any advice?

love
nick

Your Ranger doesn't have struts, is it a 2wheel drive? It's a simple job you may just want to handle it yourself. Get OEM shocks the overall quality is better, think of the deference between a Poulan and a Stihl pro saw, parts are the same way, if you don't want to do repairs yourself you should ask around people you know see who they use and who has a good reputation.

Nick I had noticed before that you said you don’t do much more than an oil change and filter. If that is where you want to stay, what would it be like to find a person who is a good mechanic that also needs lots of tree work done? He gives you great repair work through the years that you can trust, you give him amazing tree work that few working people would ever choose to spend that much money on electively.

Far more expensive and challenging repairs are coming than just changing a set of shocks.

I had the sensa tracs on my old Cherokee, I liked them just fine. Although, if you replaced them with the regular Monroe's, it's still going to be a night n day difference for you. It's REALLY not a hard job to do yourself. I'm not super mechanically inclined and I did the fronts n rears on my jeep in a couple of hours time. The most time consuming part was when I cut the plastic compression strap off one shock before I had it set it place. Google it...no doubt someone has made a step by step tutorial.

Back