I love chipping.

Found a picture of a similar model.
Sold it to pay the outstanding VAT when I moved here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha ha. If you are a farmer, farmers know how to work, you'd like chipping.

I like chipping on occasion. It's something I usually get to do on Saturdays when I'm working for myself. I hope to enjoy it more once I replace my Vermeer 1250 with a 250XP

Chipping isn't bad, dragging to the chipper sucks. Pulling up with a grapple load, almost cool. I need a larger feed-wheel chipper to load conifer limbs. Long maple limbs, does okay.

I had a 65 hp tracked "arbor eater" I wished I'd taken some pictures. It was magnificent, for a European machine.
One night I left it on the trailer in the yard, next day it was gone, I was gutted.
I put an ad in the local paper offering a reward of a 1000 quid.
Next day the thief called (pretending to be an innocent party) asking for the reward.
"Fine" says I, we arranged to meet a good 30 miles from my place.
I took three mates and we took it back right under his nose.
We got his number plate and the fuzz said that he was a habitual equipment/trailer thief.
Happy days.

Same thing happened to me, except i never found neiher thief, nor chipper again.
I have a GPS tracker on the new chipper, and a nasty part of me hopes the guy steals this one, too.

I love chipping because I remember the old days of loading brush in the truck :barf:

Me too, I'll never forget late winter evenings in the dark having to spend ages unloading by hand. Made worse when in an effort to get more on I had "rashered" it up with the saw.

Tell more about GPS units for chippers, will ya Stig

Not for chippers, but for anything.
They make them for expensive cars as well. Not to mention dogs.
Neat little unit that you hook up to the chipper batteri and hide as well as you can.
I call it by phone and it gives me GPS coordinates for the piece of equipment it is mounted on.
I can then take my dog along and go reclaim my stolen chipper and give someone a free trip to an intensive care unit.
Some companies use them to keep track of their fleet of vehicles.

Only costs something like $500. The insurance company insisted I put one on, after they paid for the stolen one.

I like chipping if it's a big chipper being fed by a loader. Otherwise, I'll pass. I've gotten spoiled working at TCI with their grapple trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cory I have a "spot satellite tracker" on my conehead. I'm very pleased with it other than the fact that it cannt be positioned under metal. I put a plastic box on my chipper just to put it in. So what happens if a thief puts it under a metal roof

PC, I had the chance to watch a demo movie being made of a cone-head about a mile or two down the road from their factory. Fantastic machines. I haven't seen every machine that's made work, but I'be never seen anything that impressed me more.

Thought the guy who owns the company was pretty decent to talk to too.

Why did cone head go out of business

Barko bought them out to get the patent is what I heard

Barko just makes huge whole tree chippers now with the cone drum design

Bummer for us 18" guys

Anyone ever use a 12in. Asplungsh chipper with the 4cyl.ford?
Got a lead on one that I seen in use.
Look ok to me???

Chuck and duck? Called a whisper chipper? If so, not sure its a 12'' but the best chuck and duck Ive ever used. Nice machine

Most the chippers you describe that Asplundh here runs (other than the whisper Chipper) is a 12" Vermeer BC1000 with out all the fibre glass.
In these parts...

Look ok to me???

Had a Asplundh 12" drum with a ford 300 c.i. 6cyl. Best ford I ever owned...Was a solid machine, strong engine and very simple to work on. Ate green wood extremely well. 6" full cottonwood branches and 8" chunks if cut to 3'ish. Dead wood tends to explode. Never used a 4cyl version.

Cory I have a "spot satellite tracker" on my conehead. I'm very pleased with it other than the fact that it cannt be positioned under metal. I put a plastic box on my chipper just to put it in. So what happens if a thief puts it under a metal roof

Get a better model!
Mine is placed inside the engine compartment of the chipper, which is parked under a metal roof.
Doesn't bother it none.
I regularly call it up and test it.
It does drain the battery over time, so during logging season, where we don't chip much, I recharge monthly.

Look ok to me???
Yes I've run them with the 4 cyl ford engine. It'll make you money. And beat your ass raw. And the side of your face for good measure. No but seriously, if its super cheap, buy it and let it earn you the money towards your next step up the chipper ladder.

Back