How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 182K
while the whipping isnt consistent and the dipping isnt perfect, just trying more new things.

24579499661_4494b55e02_b.jpg

Use 3 brummells for pockets on Ultra slings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to see some break test videos or real numbers on those ultra slings..... Got any lying around by chance? Is there a significant strength difference between 2 and 3 brummels?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hasn't there talk about a break test on the ultra slings when they came to the market? If I remember right there was some debate about strength.

I recently purchased a Maasdam Rope Puller and 200 feet of 1/2" 3-strand rope. Today I decided to put a spliced eye in the end of the rope. It's a whole lot easier to splice the 3 strand stuff before loading it. I've tried splicing used rope that had been loaded pretty heavily and that's not much fun at all. This is new rope. Spliced like a dream.

Joel 100_6648.jpg 100_6649.jpg 100_6650.jpg

I got these Kong snaps stupid cheap, spliced some Yale Silver Streak on to them yesterday which was surprisingly difficult.

Attachments

• 12772070_10153967427228459_7990306060857986175_o.jpg
    12772070_10153967427228459_7990306060857986175_o.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 91
My first attempt at making an Ultra Whoopie. It's just an Ultra sling with a very long tail spliced into a whoopie.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 82
Thanks Nick! What do you mean by going overboard with the number of tucks? I did three tucks per pocket except the last one, where I did two tucks and the tail bury. If you mean the number of pockets, I think so too. The ultra sling and whoopie are both full scale. I only had 3/4" Tenex-Tec on hand so the end result is a little unwieldy.

IMG_1068.jpg

I have a problem getting little bumps from my crossovers. I stitch them to make them more compact and maybe I stitch them a little unevenly? How much do you think this effects the strength? The aztec is my splice, the tachyon is ABR

I also spliced a lanyard out of teufelberger reep schnur (or however you spell it) and have a pesky bump. I trust these splices, but am annoyed that they aren't as beautiful as they could be. Recommendations? Tips?

I already whipped it, and it's been climbed on. It almost seems like when I stitched the crossover it created the bump. If that bump appears in the next splice I'll try that trick before I whip it. Thanks

I'm sure that bump is from crossover stitching. Not doing the stitching will give a smoother crossover- but you have to be an attentive splicer and not let the crossover slip open while assembling the splice.

Don't fret that bump. Get out there and climb on it. That's a good looking splice.

love
nick

Back