How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 181K
Rich, thanks so much for the tremendous response. Absolutely gorgeous work you've done there, mate! The fact that you are able to produce such a beautiful result in such a short time is really inspirational to me.

I'm wondering if your ability to splice affects the decisions as to which ropes you choose to buy. I'd think you might shy away from ropes that are not able to be hand spliced, just to avoid the extra fees for the stitched splices. Maybe the ropes characteristics trump that consideration, though. Just curious as to the mindset of a guy who has become good at splicing, in this regard.

Thanks again so much for the quick and amazingly thorough answers. Much appreciated.

Tim

Nice splices.

Tim, an unfamiliar type of rope or haven't done one in a while, climbing line double braid or 16 strand might be about 40 minutes, just to make sure things are right. If I'm in the zone, get one done in about 25 minutes.

Rigging lines or non-climb line double braids (dock lines, lifting slings, etc) 15 minutes, but that's a relaxed pace.

A large eye splice for a local "rope company" , about 15 minutes no rushing. Had an argument with the "rope company" telling them this isn't 1/2 inch, it's 7/16. They were telling me manufacturers are reducing their sizes, but it's still considered 1/2 inch..... I told them they don't know that rope has a relaxed fiber measurement and they are just measuring it wrong, needs a reasonable load on the rope to measure the diameter. They told me their customers haven't complained and I pointed out their customers might not know how to use calipers....
IMG_20150603_222018.jpg

Thanks for the response, Peter. Gorgeous work. It just amazes me that you are able to do a spliced eye in any kind of rope in just 15 minutes.

You and Rich both inspire me. I have got to try this stuff sometime soon. It may be best for me to start out with Tenex rigging rope of some type. That seems like it might be the easiest stuff to work with, am I correct?

I guess that is about the biggest question on my mind right now. If you were going to recommend a type of cordage to a person like myself, who wants to try to learn to splice, which would allow one to have the easiest possible time of things, what would that cordage be?

Thanks again, in advance.

Tim

A large eye splice for a local "rope company" , about 15 minutes no rushing. Had an argument with the "rope company" telling them this isn't 1/2 inch, it's 7/16. They were telling me manufacturers are reducing their sizes, but it's still considered 1/2 inch..... I told them they don't know that rope has a relaxed fiber measurement and they are just measuring it wrong, needs a reasonable load on the rope to measure the diameter. They told me their customers haven't complained and I pointed out their customers might not know how to use calipers....

Kind of funny that they are unwilling to listen to the expert that they hired to do a splice for them that they are probably unable to do themselves.

Tim

No expert here. I'm so-so at everything. That particular rope is a loose double braid, not a climb line, it's very easy. I haven't spliced many different types of ropes, in my area Allgear is available, that is an easy rope to splice, even the 16 strand, good starting point IMHO for treework. Arbormaster and the vortex I've done, not much else in other manufacturers for climbing lines. I've done many double braids in other ropes (Canada Cordage) such as the last one I posted, but like I said, they are very, very loose braids, easy to do.

Hello friends.

I'm in the process of making a few new loopie slings from Tenex. I'm familiar with the bury procedure for these....super easy to do......but I'm needing some help determining how many feet of Tenex I need to make loopie slings of different lengths and diameters.

For example....a 1/2" Tenex loopie that is adjustable from 2 to 6 feet in length.....how many feet of Tenex will I need and what is the proper length of the bury......or fids? There is also a bury made at each end. How many inches for the tail bury?

I'd also like a couple of 5/8" loopies, adjustable from about 2 to 10 feet in length. How many inches do I need for a proper bury on these?

I plan on installing my Pinto Rig Pulley on one of the smaller 1/2" loopies. I had this on my old loopie, but I damaged it when making a cut in the tree this week. Shucks...darn.

Thanks for your help, friends.

Joel

I never premeasure whoopies and loopies. I just make the splice, pull enough off the reel to create the desired sling, then chop it off there.

Will that work?

love
nick

Yep.....that will work, Nick.

I'm mainly concerned that I'm not correctly measuring the length of the bury. Can you provide me with some proper bury lengths for the 1/2 and 5/8 loopies? How about the tapered tail bury? Any suggestions on lengths and tapers for those?

Thanks a heap.

Joel

Honestly this is a debated topic. Samsons published WHOOPIE directions say to bury maybe 1 ⅓ fids (fid and a short) or somewhere near there. But there aren't published directions for a loopie. I do 1 ⅔ fids. Some folks do 2 fids.

You should call Samson on Monday!

love
nick

There was a thread over on treebuzz about a loopie slipping, but I don't know if there was any sort of resolution. Same burys, from just 1 fid to 2 fids.

Preety much yupp......
12" when I make them out of 3/8
18 when I use 1/2"
As far as the tapered stopper at the end, I just eye ball it around 4-6"... Seems to be about easiest to bury in itself with out my fingers being a pretzel.
5/8" maybe go the 24" ...

Thanks for all of the help, friends. I'll be ordering a good amount of Tenex Tec from TreeStuff in different sizes. I plan on making about 3 loopies in each size.

Joel

(Quoting from an earlier post of my own.)

"I guess that is about the biggest question on my mind right now. If you were going to recommend a type of cordage to a person like myself, who wants to try to learn to splice, which would allow one to have the easiest possible time of things, what would that cordage be?

Thanks again, in advance.

Tim"

Start with tenex and double braid rigging line for practice

Ruel, thanks so much for this answer to my question. I will take your advice to heart.

Tim

NickfromWI,

I'm not sure that it's a big deal, but due to the nature of the construction a loopie sling is much stronger than a whoopie. Two legs of rope vs. a single leg in a whoopie.

The added strength of the loopie is what sold me on them. I use the larger loopies at the top rigging point. My whoopie sling is usually found at the base of the tree, supporting either a portawrap, or a larger block used as a redirect to my tractor.

My smaller loopies are usually used as redirects in the tree, or for mounting a small portawrap in the tree for use as a control line. Loopies are so convenient......almost as quick as a loop runner.

Joel

Tackled my first beeline hitch, by the skin of my teeth but i was able to make it all come together. Can't believe how easy this one is! Super stoked lol,was worried as i was finishing that the lengths wouldn't meet up...
da1b30f980ef3973d3c2da754e1da2d8.jpg

Back