How'd it go today?

Levers are da shit imo, very ergonomic.

Pistol grip is murder unless the deadman lever is tied closed, imo.

I prefer the pistol grip because of having the ability to run all the functions at once.
I agree with the lockout on the pistol Cory. I think that?s a lubrication problem because mine moves pretty easy
Haven?t they been putting Safety locks on the levers since the 90?s?

I've always wondered if it was over-gripping that was the problem.

Do you know other people with a similar deal, Butch?

Brian, how much for just a second driver, no matter what? Previously, only one truck could possibly be on the road at a time, whereas now, it could be two big trucks that could crush a Hyundai Excel like a tuna can, at the same time.

Does he have a bunch of time on the offenses (three-year driver's history or something)?

Just one big pin oak today

We were supposed to do 2 jobs today. The first was pruning an 85' pin oak in a nearby town. We rolled out, climber set his tie in point way up, and began to make his way around the tree. The goal was deadwooding, safety pruning above the roofline, lightening the tips to prevent breakage. The homeowner wanted a rather extensive, aggressive pruning job to give them peace of mind for years to come. Things were going great for about 15 minutes. I was going to the chipper truck to get out the GRCS to set up the rigging for the over-roof stuff, when I saw a waterfall of coolant coming out of the chipper. Shut it down; pretty obvious source: the water pump was dumping out coolant. Took it off, and it was completely shot inside, ball bearings going everywhere.

P1320740.jpg P1320741.jpg

We were able to get a friend to run to a neighboring city 45 minutes away to the tractor dealer (our Vermeer chipper runs a 100HP John Deere engine) who had the water pump in stock. Meanwhile, our climber kept pressing on, dropping brush which was stacked by the road and sidewalk, ready for when the chipper would come back online. I took the opportunity to dismantle a crispy 30' white pine that the homeowner wanted taken out at the same time. Then it was on to running the rigging show. We had the climber in the tree, a handler on the roof of the house, me on the GRCS, and the ground man on the butt rope. Finished the pruning by 3:30 as the part was arriving, along with gallons of coolant. Part was on by 4:30, then another hour + of chipping and then a light raking and blowing. Done by 6. The customer wants us back to remove a Siberian elm in front of their house that is crowding out a neighboring sycamore.

P1320742.jpg P1320747.jpg P1320759.jpg P1320772.jpg P1320776.jpg

The second job intended for today will have to wait till tomorrow!

Thank was a great save, organising the pump, getting it and fitting it, then finishing the job is what separates the men from the boys business wise.

Big thumbs up!

(Oh, and nice tree work as well)

I had levers and then a pistol. I'd take a pistol any day over the levers. Mine was dead smooth and real easy/light on the deadman. The levers were a pita to multifunction and were heavy to actuate compared to my pistol. It was buttery smooth. Just my experience with two booms. Both versalifts.

He was a real goober on that smoking show he was on, but they all were.

I use the book written by the 'smoking hogzz' team. Can't recall the name right now and can't find it due to all the cleaning and purging we are doing? Good book and lots of good 'recipes'.

I got a new dog guys! His name is Ivan and he's a 7 month old rescue. Total sweetheart. Basically a big puppy at this point. haha

Not sure what he is, but he's brindled as could be. Looks like Viet Nam spec-ops cammo. Really a neat coat.

35527917_1749217958447471_4593955925278064640_n.jpg

35629215_1749447008424566_6651510362623442944_n.jpg

I love the second pic. Noble looking beast for so young a age. Looks like a real nice fella. Congrats!

I've been doing hay this week on a neighbours field. Cut it Sunday and got it all put up in the shed today. Not a spec of rain on it. 8)

4 Yesterday, or was it 5?

1). Back out to the two American Elms pruning for a quick one more limb over the driveway. Thankfully, we've finally gotten a new gear drive for our Stihl HT-133, so it was just a quick power pruner cut or three.

2). A neighbor a few doors down heard the chipper revved up and flagged us down. We've worked for her before, doing a medium removal on her back fenceline. She had 2 small apple trees she wanted to remove, wanted more coasters to lacquer up, so we obliged her.

3). The big job of the day was 2 maple removals, one 30' that was accessible for the winch from the street, so that was a quick drop-n-chip. The larger 45' maple was in a tighter section of the back yard, so our 2nd climber climbed it and pieced it out, lowering some things down with lines & a block. We also topped a juniper for the lady and fine pruned 4 Amur maples (suffering suckertash). One of them will need some cabling & bracing work, so I'll be back out for that and to grind the outside stump (unfortunately grown right around a sprinkler head!).

P1320832.JPG

4). Called back to the large pruning job we did about 2 weeks back. A mild storm the day before had knocked down 2 limbs off the Bradford Pear we had taken limbs off that were growing toward the house. We hadn't been asked for a full pruning on that row of 4 trees, so it's no wonder they had so much weight the opposing side gave way. We cleaned up the 2 limbs and gave them some consideration -- either a full pruning on those four, or same cost for removal. They're more likely to go for the pruning, since its privacy screening and shade for their patio area.

5). Little "limber" job -- taking lower deadwood and 2 limbs off a black walnut. No problem, just had to watch the nice new cedar fence below!

Then off to dump, drop off the chipper, load up our new rear dually tires for the chipper truck. We dropped it off at the tire shop at 5, hoping to pick it up at 9 am this morning. Very needed, those new boots! Those old ones were far below 2/32" tread depth! We are definitely considering putting a pusher axle on the truck, as 30 cubic yards loaded is a wee bit heavy!

Thanks guys.

Yeah Jim, he's a mutt. Unknown lineage. Very similar to the Tennessee Treeing Brindle dogs, but that's pretty damn specific for a shelter mutt. . .

We're working on staying in the back of the truck this week ;)

Cheers

I know a guy that has a Mountain Cur. Looks similar.

Glad you got a new dog.

I am just starting to feel like a human again. Came down with a stomach bug on Monday. Been mostly dead ever since.

All the kids are sick or getting a bit better.

If I had to guess, I suppose someone with the shits went swimming the same day we did at the hot springs. Hot springs not needing to be chlorinated.

Frog snack, I was not sure I was going to make it last night!

So before Kevin gives me too much shit for being addicted to social media.....I have been in the house....watching sick kids for a few days.

Back